Sign in to follow this  

2002 yz250f intake valve clearance ?

I was checking the intake valve clearance on a friends 2002 yz250f, and I cant seem to get the feeler gauge in / through the center cam lobe. I tried the feeler gauges that were within spec and smaller / thinner. None seem to want to go through, it almost seems to hang up. I tried both sides of the intake cam to access the lifter / lobe, but nothing. Any suggestions or tips? The bike runs perfect and starts in 1-2 kicks everytime. The other 2 gaps seem a little snug when measured with a .102 mm feeler gauge ( spec: 10 - 15 mm ). Thanks

I was checking the intake valve clearance on a friends 2002 yz250f, and I cant seem to get the feeler gauge in / through the center cam lobe. I tried the feeler gauges that were within spec and smaller / thinner. None seem to want to go through, it almost seems to hang up. I tried both sides of the intake cam to access the lifter / lobe, but nothing. Any suggestions or tips? The bike runs perfect and starts in 1-2 kicks everytime. The other 2 gaps seem a little snug when measured with a .102 mm feeler gauge ( spec: 10 - 15 mm ). Thanks

If you're measuring them correctly then those valves are way too tight, try thinner shims until they are in spec.

The problem is, you don't know the original set of clearance measurements for them, so you don't know how "worn" they are at their current state. When the bike was new, if he/you had taken the initial measurements, you would have a baseline to go against now. I don't remember what the correct percentage is, but if you had to use shims that are something like 10% thinner then the baseline sizes of the original shims, then it is time to replace the valves instead of shimming them.

my feeler guage was too wide to fit in between the cam housing either cutt your feeler auge down or your local ktm dealer if there is one should sell skinny ones and they work just fine