Sign in to follow this  

Mental Conditioning

I am getting in shape for the fall enduro season. I can ride fast but the biggest problem I have is endurance. My cardio is OK, my strength needs some work but that I can fix. One of my biggest endurance issues is my inability to focus on riding. After 30 minutes or so my mind starts to wander, usually about stupid things like that cold beer sitting in the fridge at home, and I loose speed or get sloppy. Telling myself to focus doesn't really help since I'm thinking about focusing on thinking about riding and not actually thinking about riding. If I can maintain 100% concentration for the duration of the race, I'm sure my body would follow and I would do much better. Does any of this make sense to anyone? Does anyone have any tricks they would like to share? Should I seek professional help ? :thumbsup:

It makes 100% sense to me because I am in the excact same boat as you are. After about 5miles...its like I forget Im racing.

do you ride with a camel back/water? really hard riding that takes a lot of energy makes you dehydrated, which makes your mind wander. Just a complete guess, but i used to get the same thing when i raced out in the desert.

Look for visual reference points. Continually scan for braking points, turn entrances, jumps, clever lines, etc. This keeps your mind focused, plus it helps you ride your best.

Always make a point of thinking about what your doing... if you start thinking about that frosty one back in the cooler... just remeber, you can't drink it till you finish.

Or better yet... picture your girlfriend at the end... if you don't have one, the girlfriend you wish you had.

I'm with ya on this one...I do the same thing. Personally, the best corrective method I've found (although other riders think I'm a total wak-job)...I talk, or rather- yell at myself when I start to wander mentally, partly because I'm pissed off at myself. Imagine the HighSchool football coach in your ear during grass drills. I am amazed at how effective this is for me...and at how many other riders will move over because some savage maniac has come up behind them, screaming like a kamikaze!:thumbsup:

Strange but humorously effective!

I used to have this problem. It seemed like it would only happen after I fell or was getting tired and slowing down. My solution was pretty simple.....I just practiced riding as fast as I could without hurting myself, and raised my comfort level. When my mind wandered I was always going at trail pace it seemed. When I finally learned to be comfortable at a faster pace I was so focused that I pretty much was unconscious. At the end of the race I don't remember many details. If you're really desperate then when you're riding, announce your movements...."shift up...brake...shift down...clutch...gas....left turn...right turn"

what about riding with music, i road my xr200 when i had it around my trails with music and it kept me focused the whole time

i think i want to ttry and hook up some head phones in my helmate

its a known fact that music will help you focus better, and i put it to test when doing homework..lol

what about riding with music, i road my xr200 when i had it around my trails with music and it kept me focused the whole time

its a known fact that music will help you focus better, and i put it to test when doing homework..lol

I tried that once. It really didn't work. I started listening to the song and thinking about what band, album, year, etc. it was and how good the guitar solo was and before I knew it I just about bounced off the trail. Besides, you should ride with all of your senses...except taste...to truly be an effective racer. Hearing is a big part of my riding, because I need to hear bikes that might be ahead, behind, or on a trail above me, as well as my own bike, so that I can monitor just how well the motor is doing.

I do ski with music in, when I'm not patrolling, which in most situations is probably just as dangerous. I ski kind of automatically anyway, so I can afford to let my mind wander a bit. Then again, nobody passes me, I only have to be aware of whats downhill from me, and any hazardous areas are usually out in the open where you can see it ahead of time. I take it out for tight tree skiing because people get lost out there and technically I'm supposed to go and find anybody that is yelling for help since I'm on the patrol, whether I am in uniform or not.

yeah i snow board with music, it helps me feel like im a professional, even though i suck.

Music and motorcycles are not a good combination; anything that can potentially distract you will. one moments distraction and you can become a statistic.

I know that some people can do homework, work or study with music on but I find that completely infathomable (is that a word?). Music must be listened to it cannot be just heard. Even the most un-musical person will have songs they like (which is why they invented britney Spears I guess) and anything that gets your foot tapping is taking away focus from any other activity you are doing at the time.

besides if you start tapping your (left) foot you'r gonna end up riding in first gear.

I used to have this problem. It seemed like it would only happen after I fell or was getting tired and slowing down. My solution was pretty simple.....I just practiced riding as fast as I could without hurting myself, and raised my comfort level. When my mind wandered I was always going at trail pace it seemed. When I finally learned to be comfortable at a faster pace I was so focused that I pretty much was unconscious. At the end of the race I don't remember many details. If you're really desperate then when you're riding, announce your movements...."shift up...brake...shift down...clutch...gas....left turn...right turn"

This sounds like a good idea. Verbally telling yourself what to do should help focus. What doesn't work for me is thinking, "Wow, I'm going really fast now!". I usally think that just before I smack into a tree.

This sounds like a good idea. Verbally telling yourself what to do should help focus. What doesn't work for me is thinking, "Wow, I'm going really fast now!". I usally think that just before I smack into a tree.

yup, i hear you on that one