Sign in to follow this  

My XR 400 is a brand new bike

We completed the Mikuni carb install today. I cannot even begin to describe the difference in my bike. It is absolutely, positively, a new bike. It fires up on one kick, and from the very bottom through the power band it pulls. It is simply amazing.

When I started the bike the first time, just sitting there in neutral, I knew it was totaly different.

The guy who helped me finish the install has been riding for over 40 years, he's got a KTM 450 and his comment was that the bike feels like I spent 1000 bucks on it.

That is great, so it sounds like it's worth every penny like people have said in the past. How long did it take you to get the carb installed and dialed in? After reading all other post on this and now yours. I am now going to buy a pumper for mine.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the pumper carburetor. Wait until you lay it over and it starts first kick (no more starting drill).

Installing the carb was easy, the throttle cables were tricky. I had help there from a pro. A friend of many years did most of that part. The trick is to install the cables on the carb first. Then the other trick was to make sure there was just a tiny bit of play in the throttle so that the slide would not be open at all.

I knew that it would be a big improvement after all I've read, but I had NOOOOOO idea it would feel like it does.

It's funny you say that, today in third gear that front wheel came up like never before. I didn't have to lean back or jerk the bars, just goose it and up she goes.

My friend who helped with the install was really impressed with how the bike will idle in third gear, and then when you rap it, it just goes. He said it's gonna be a real pleasure to ride in the woods with this setup.

Where did you order the carb from and if you dont mind me asking, how much did it run ya?

I got the carb from the classifieds here for 200 bucks, brand new never installed. Talk about lucky. I saw one used for 275 last week. I think it was here but it could have been on fourstrokes.com.

I've heard mixed reviews on XRs only, but as long as you use a credit card if you have issues you can dispute. You could also watch ebay, but I can't remember seeing the carb up there yet. Only the Edelbrock.

Good luck in your search. I should mention that since installing the carb, I NEVER, EVER, have to kick the bike more than 2 times to start it. Then again, I've only started it cold about 5 times since the install.

I see on XR's only has it for $370 http://www.xrsonly.com/content/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=225&category_id=22&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=77

but im also looking at some other sites that have the TM carbs from mikuni in 36mm.. but dont reference a TM 36-50 for the xr... i wonder if this would work???

http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/product~pf_id~5081435~dept_id~2107456.asp

help!

I see on XR's only has it for $370 http://www.xrsonly.com/content/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=225&category_id=22&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=77

but im also looking at some other sites that have the TM carbs from mikuni in 36mm.. but dont reference a TM 36-50 for the xr... i wonder if this would work???

http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/product~pf_id~5081435~dept_id~2107456.asp

help!

I believe the bikebandit unit does not come with the pumper...

I can't explain the function, but I know the "pumper" is what gives the bike the low end.

what jetting are u using? is it just how the carb came or did u change the jets also?