Sign in to follow this  

Nikasil Repair?

I broke a ring today and messed up the cylinder pretty bad, does anybody know where I can have this mess repaired, and the appro. cost? It will have to be bored, recoated, and honed to size. What other options do I have. This is very nicely (expensive) ported B cylinder from TROY RACING and I would like to keep it. Anybody who knows me, knows I really had to refrain from dropping a few f bombs in this post :ride::applause::applause::thumbsup:

There was an issue about this on the ODSC a while back.

Did it actually tear into the cylinder, or just put a messy coating of aluminum(from the piston) on the cyl. wall?

Cycle Improvements, if they can't fix it, should know who can.

BJ

Shitty deal Dwarf :thumbsup: Yes, you can have it repaired, but the cost won't save you much over a new cyclindar. If you really like that Troy cycl. then get it fixed.

can you overbore it? that doesnt solve the nikasil problem, but its probly cheaper than getting the gouges filled with weld.

If you decide to get a new one be sure to price parts out in the US as well. I know Yamaha parts are way cheaper in the US and there are no duties on motorcycle parts. Just be sure to have anything sent by US Postal Service and not a courier like UPS, the brokerage fees charged by couriers will kill you.

It cost my Dad about 300 bucks to get it recoated from some outfit in Quebec. The turn around was 10 days. I'll try to get the name of the place tomorrow. I know they had a big add in the MXP (Canadian magazine). He priced a jug for his 1993 Rm250 from the dealer and it was 750.00. So he was happy to throw down the 300. Try not to get it sleeved because it just f@#ks up the cylinder. My old man tried it and both times the cylinder blew to hell in a couple of hours (LA sleeve)-and guess what ?no warrenty. :thumbsup:

oh ya, and the company bored, honed it to stock size and cleaned the ports. He raced the bike today and said it ran sweet. :thumbsup:

300 bucks us for a new stock cyl. from Troy,and I can get a 2001 cyl. 300bucks can. to re-coat and keep my finely ported cyl???? hmmm I think I will be calling Quebec today. Thanx for the re-sleeving advice Toolie, that was an option that I will now not consider.

Dwarf do not use them pistons they are garbage.Are they called spx??

Go with the stock piston much stronger and last alot longer.

We have had those piston break in are race sleds and destroy the hole motor.

I would spend the extra bucks and go with the stock honda.

I use a machine shop in Quebec for all my crankshafts, and shortblocks, They also specialize in Nikasil cylinders, retail on a re plating job is about $290.00 plus the shipping. Let me know if you want there name and address.email me mike@thompsonsmarina.com