Sign in to follow this  

FCR Conversion help needed

I'm currently half way through my fcr conversion and I have come to a slight halt! After removing the sm airboot and replacing it with the E airboot I have a couple of issues.

As shows in the attached photo.

http://www.supermoto-enduro.co.uk/graphics/dcr_conversion1.jpg

Point A on the photo. I have some kind of vent hole that used to go to the SM airboot just before the carb. The new E airboot does not have this hole! What is it and what shall i do with it?

Point B on the photo. This hole also exists on the SM but the new one on the E airboot is much smaller and im not sure where it's supposed to go to on my new FCR carb?

Second photo

http://www.supermoto-enduro.co.uk/graphics/dcr_conversion2.jpg

I’m pretty sure of this but I would like to get it confirmed. Point A from pump or sensor (im not sure what it is) Goes to point B on carb?

I have Clymer manual but it does not go into this sort of detail!

Please help i need my bike back on the road by Wednesday aaarrggg.

Many thanks

there needs to be a hose from the plastic box in the first pic that goes up and over the air boot and straight dow to the ground.vents to the air.

in the second photo you have 2 seperate things.

on the carb is coast enrichener.you need to remove it,cap the vacuum ports and chage the pilot air jet to a 100.

the other piece is from the PAIR valve.the whoel system needs to be roved and port in the cylinder head blcoked off.

Thanks Eddie, a couple of more questions if you dont mind.

>> there needs to be a hose from the plastic box in the first pic that goes up and over the air boot and straight dow to the ground.vents to the air.

What about the second hole?

>> on the carb is coast enrichener.you need to remove it,cap the vacuum ports and chage the pilot air jet to a 100.

Can I do this another time or does it have to be done now? I dont have the 100 jet and it might take a a few days to get one. I need the bike up ans running shortley.

>>the other piece is from the PAIR valve.the whoel system needs to be roved and port in the cylinder head blcoked off.

How do I block this off?

Many Thanks

you got a kicker air boot.a 6mm bolt with some super glue will plug that hole.

the carb will work as is.just leave that vacuum port like it is.the coast enrichener is disabled and the bike will run fine.you just have extra clutter.

as far as the pair valve goes,you need to do a search and see how other uk guys have blocked it off.you can cut the tubing off several inches from the flange at the head and use a rubber cap as temporary fix.

a nice machined intereference fit plug it what you need or just cut the tubing off flush at the flange and weld the hole up.instant block off plate.

It's 1 in the morning and I just got out the garage!

Couple of issues, think they gave me the wrong cables, they are way to long! and they are identicle to the ones i have.

Got the carb on, started it up, revs shot way up so i turned the bike off only to find fuel leaking from the bottom of the carb. Great.

Also I had not blocked off the pair valve what effect would this of had? Is the bike reving it's nuts off be due to this?

I think i'm going to put the old carb back on until i get this leak sorted.

Stressed.

you got S cables again.

as long as you leave the pair valve intact,with no vacuum line hooked up,your fine.

the pair isnt causing your issue.

sounds like the idle is set way to high.

the leak is from the o-ring around the needle set being dried out ans shrunken.

Stoped the leak, one of the bolts to the float bowl had started to spin so I added a nut ontop, took the o ring out and put it back and that seemed to have stopped it for now.

The high reving is still there, I have turned the idle down so it's not even touching but this has not helped at all. What can cause high reving like this?

I checked all the clamps they all seem nice and tight. If I pull the choke out it starts to sputter a bit and it does not rev as high but still not sounding good.

This is my current setup.

165 main jet

stock dxp needle

5th clip

stock 45 pilot jet

2.5 turns fuel screw

this is frustrating

I’m now thinking the slide is not sliding far enough on idle, there seems to be a 5mm gap all the time. When I put it in I though that's how it was supposed to be. I spoke to someone who says you should not be able to see through it on idle.

So it’s coming out again tonight for further inspection.

Eddie you da man,

You got it right first time, the slide was in upside down! That's how I bought it i never took it out I'd only opened the top to change the needle setting.

To take the upside down slide out was another story, it would not simply lift out. The upside down plate was stopping the rollers releasing, I had to slide the whole throttle assembly out. Anyway cut a very long story short it's in and it's idleling like a dream.

First test run (this morning commuting to work) runs fine but I still need that E cable as I can only give it 3/4 throttle with all the adjustments maxed out.

Another little problem is I'm getting lots and lots of backfire on deceleration. Any ideas?

I have pluged the tube that used to go to the old carb from the pair valve, this has made no difference to the backfire. Do I need to block it off at the engine port?

Ok I have plugged the right side of he pair valve and it has completely removed the backfire.

My dealer has identified that he has supplied me with a cable for a non fcr E model! I did not know they existed. My new cable is now on order and my conversion is near the end.

Eddie, many thanks for all your help ill post my views on the final verdict.

Zigmondo

Wow, just awsome help there Eddie, you are da man!

:thumbsup::applause::applause::applause::ride::applause:

Let me just say thanks from everyone for what you do.

Ok I have plugged the right side of he pair valve and it has completely removed the backfire.

My dealer has identified that he has supplied me with a cable for a non fcr E model! I did not know they existed. My new cable is now on order and my conversion is near the end.

Eddie, many thanks for all your help ill post my views on the final verdict.

Zigmondo

yes there california E models that use the S carb.not sure how that relates to your side of the pond though.