Sign in to follow this  

Dual Sported XR250R - How Much To Ask For Now?

I've got a 2002 XR250R in mint condition with a total of about 800 miles on it, 144 of which have been after it was dual sported. The time has come to sell it, but I am having a hard time figuring out what to ask for and would like some opinions from the experts.

The bike has an Electrosport Dakar dual sport kit, Baja Designs speedo, Acerbis Rally Pro handguards, Moose Skid Plate, Ken Sean mirrors, and Kenda Trackmaster II DOT-approved knobbies. Theoretically, it is 50-state street legal. I have it licensed and inspected in Texas through 5/2007.

I have searched the forums, and it looks like the dual sport kit and being street legal add ~$500 to the value. Okay, that makes sense.

The problem came when I looked up the value in NADA and Kelley. NADA lists the value as being $1655 low retail and $2175 average retail. Okay, no problem so far, I'm thinking it's worth about $2600 if I add the $500 for it being street legal. However, Kelley lists the retail as $2755. If I add $500 to that, it's a big jump. So where in there is a reasonable asking price for a low hour street legal 2002 XR250R in excellent condition?

I'm no expert, but from what I've seen, clean bikes will go for higher than book, depending on location, etc. You should watch eBay, I see bikes there go for much higher than book all the time. Make sure you are very descriptive about the bike, and put a lot of detailed pictures as well. Also, if you list on eBay, list it on a Saturday or a Sunday, as you'll get more last second bids that push up the price. There was an XR 400 I was watching, I think an 03 that was at 3600 the last time I looked. It was bone stock with nothing extra on it. Just make sure you list the bike with a reserve that you want for it. If it is pristine, you'll get it. Just be sure to list every last detail, and every last scratch.

Good luck, if your bike is that fresh with low mileage, you should really expect higher than book.

I really appreciate the suggestion. I guess eBay is one way around having to decide what it's worth myself. I can just let the market do it if I list it there.