Sign in to follow this  

Water crossings: Don't do this

nice... i once did something like that with a old CR250... theres a spot here that is REALLY shallow at the river... only about calf deep.. well i tried to walk it across and ended up in a hole about waist deep. got it out... drained the carb... turned the gas back on and WAM fired right up and was riding again..!!

I did something similar about 2 weeks ago. The river was shallow but the rocks on the bottom were covered with a slimy layer of algae(just like ice, especially with a river current). Drained the carb, the pink hose, dried the air filter and changed the oil and I was back out riding the same day.

Haha i did that to my bike mid july, except the water was in a coal mine, so everything was totally locked up, didnt bother risk screwing up the cylinder so we took it home and pulled the motor, the piston had a film of coal dust, sand and scum covering it, the bike only sat the ride home, that night we got home and tore the motor down, and the carb already had rust in it, and alottt of nasty sludge. The bottom end was fine luckily, but every single bearing in the bike, linkage, swingarm, steering, wheels, everyone of them was seized solid and needed replaced. The end...

:thumbsup: this reminds me of a time my buddy and i were at the tomaston dam NEW ENGLAND RIDER KNOW WAHT IMN SAYIN. and we were trying to find a spot to cross the river, well he started out and decided to walk it first jsut to see, he got only to his knees. so he got on the bike and pinned it, to bad he didnt reaise it was a shelf and he got about 6 feet out into teh river and then dissapeared. aarently we wernt supposed to be there, the cops let us off due to teh fact that they were laughing at us when they pulled up and saw us wesling his water logged bike out of the river