Sign in to follow this  

ttr250 rear shock

I bought an 04 ttr250 knowing it had a bad rear shock. I never know about the fact that yamaha doesn't sell any service parts! We after taking it apart and finding the chrome was flacking off of the shaft I went on a search.

I found a new unit from ronayers.com 490 delivered and I also found a guaranteed used shock from steve's cycles in georgia. I went with the used as it was 325 delivered. I have installed the shock which did look good and the question I have is the bike seems as though it has very little dampening in the rear. I have adjusted the shock and still feel a rather quick topping out

of the rear suspension as though the shock has no dampening on rebound. Is this normal ? The bike feels very spongy or bouncy to me. How many people have had rear shock probelms and does anyone else know of a better shock than the oem one. The oem shock is a real cheaply made part. I am being kind . I called Yamaha and talked to their tech department and they offer no advice other than it shouldn't be bad on a bike with 660 miles on it. No Kidding. Yamaha dealer shock only bare $609 oh yeh what a deal.

It sounds like either there is air/water in the shock or it needs to be rebuilt. I beat the snot out of mine and with 1600 miles its still as tight as the day I bought it.

Disappointed with my rear shock, my ttr250 seems to beat my ass end silly, I can't believe how much smoother a crf250x rides over the rocky trails

Yeah, it sucks riding on a pogo stick. I have an '04 and the bike was made for 50+ riders. you can't really do any hardcore riding with it.