Sign in to follow this  

Crap! Worng fork seal driver? 40-50mm? Shavings?

Need some quick help brothers. Finishing up the 450 springs in the 250 project. Got a ProMotion 49-50mm fork seal driver. First stop rings and bushing went in fine. When I use it to get first oil ring in Im banginf away but its not seating into fork tube. I also notice sopme small metal shavings had come off the end of the outer fork tube! I have the seal driver assembled correctly but apparantly it seems when bringing it down to bang the seal in its not comingn down straigh enough or there is not enough clearance in the driving emd diameter (slightly too big? So its hitting the outside of the fork tube on one side or the other - almost like it needs to be one size smaller (48mm?)

Question one: should I have gottn the 48mm? Motion pro told me to get the 49-50mm combo.

Question 2: not that I have the backup rings and bushings in, should I pull them back out and restart them presuming I get a smaller driver?

3): should I be worries about the shavings or damage to outer bottom lip of the outer fork tube? Im thinking that as long as I get the shavings cleaned out well, the condition of that outer lip doesnot seem that important.

Need some quick help brothers. Finishing up the 450 springs in the 250 project. Got a ProMotion 49-50mm fork seal driver. First stop rings and bushing went in fine. When I use it to get first oil ring in Im banginf away but its not seating into fork tube. I also notice sopme small metal shavings had come off the end of the outer fork tube! I have the seal driver assembled correctly but apparantly it seems when bringing it down to bang the seal in its not comingn down straigh enough or there is not enough clearance in the driving emd diameter (slightly too big? So its hitting the outside of the fork tube on one side or the other - almost like it needs to be one size smaller (48mm?)

Question one: should I have gottn the 48mm? Motion pro told me to get the 49-50mm combo.

Question 2: not that I have the backup rings and bushings in, should I pull them back out and restart them presuming I get a smaller driver?

3): should I be worries about the shavings or damage to outer bottom lip of the outer fork tube? Im thinking that as long as I get the shavings cleaned out well, the condition of that outer lip doesnot seem that important.

Crap! MP told me the wrong one and I just trusted it. I need the 47 mm! Well that answer question 1 above. I will get MP to exchange my 49/50 for the 47. But my questions 2 and 3 still pertain! :thumbsup::ride::applause:

For what it's worth I'd file down the seal driver to get it where is clears. Also, put some lub on the fork seals BEFORE you insert them. They will slide in much easier. I use a very light grease but any lub should work (tri-flow, grease). Just use a small amount though. Also, don't put grease on the dust seals.

PT

For what it's worth I'd file down the seal driver to get it where is clears. Also, put some lub on the fork seals BEFORE you insert them. They will slide in much easier. I use a very light grease but any lub should work (tri-flow, grease). Just use a small amount though. Also, don't put grease on the dust seals.

PT

Thanks PT. I dont think it has enough thickingness to file down 2.5 mm worth. I could gring off the little tangs that fit into each side though... hmmm