Sign in to follow this  

Which bike after CRF100?

My son is way overdue for something else. Which bike 85 or 125? He rides my 250X pretty good. He is 5'6" and weighs 110lbs.

Any thoughts?

just kidding,, :ride:

If he's doing more woods riding i would go with 250x. sounds like he,s big enough sh :thumbsup: t i,m 34 years old and only 135lbs....

I had the same dilemma, my son had outgrown his XR100 and was ready for a bigger bike. At the time, he was 14 years old, 5'3", 110 lbs., so I got him a CR85 Expert, which fit him perfectly. Now less than one year later, he's grown to 5'8" and 130 lbs. I'm hoping he can ride the 85 one more year, even though it's kind of small.

I think it depends on his age, if he's under 14, an 85 would be a good step-up.

By the way, my son also rides my 250X, but its a little heavy on tight trails.

I had the same dilemma, my son had outgrown his XR100 and was ready for a bigger bike. At the time, he was 14 years old, 5'3", 110 lbs., so I got him a CR85 Expert, which fit him perfectly. Now less than one year later, he's grown to 5'8" and 130 lbs. I'm hoping he can ride the 85 one more year, even though it's kind of small.

I think it depends on his age, if he's under 14, an 85 would be a good step-up.

By the way, my son also rides my 250X, but its a little heavy on tight trails.

My son is 13 and 135 lbs...I thought real hard about his next bike..I let him ride my cr 250 a few times..And he got respect for the power..And he can physically handle it..So now , its his..He is running tight singletrack with me , and has no problems..He has learned throttle control..He loves how the power can carry him through Obctacles with ease..He is going to be a good rider..

I came off a XR 100, and got a 125. It was a little big at first, but i grew into it, and would rather have that now than an 85.

just kidding,, :ride:

If he's doing more woods riding i would go with 250x. sounds like he,s big enough sh :thumbsup: t i,m 34 years old and only 135lbs....

We are in desert area of AZ not too much woods here but like riding them up north. I have been contemplating a 450R for myself so maybe the 250X to him would be a good idea but........it's still a lot of bike. Had the 13.5 Hi-Comp piston and Hotcam put in it.

He has been on the CRF100 since March 05 but has been ready to go bigger for about 8 months now. I don't want to buy him another bike that he will be out of in 6 - 8 months again but I also don't want him to have a bike he can't handle.

He does do well on my CRF but sometimes I still cringe when I hear him getting after it. I doubt that he would be able to pick it up if he dumped it. Forgot to mention we go to the track a lot too. I am not sure I would be able to take it watching him on a 250F or CR125.

My son is 13 and 135 lbs...I thought real hard about his next bike..I let him ride my cr 250 a few times..And he got respect for the power..And he can physically handle it..So now , its his..He is running tight singletrack with me , and has no problems..He has learned throttle control..He loves how the power can carry him through Obctacles with ease..He is going to be a good rider..

13 and a CR250?????? dayum! Mine will be 14 in Nov. Then again he has only been riding for a year and half.

i came off a 150 to a 125. i think 125's are awsome, i just love 2 strokes in general. i find them a lot more fun to ride than a 4stroke, and isnt the sport all about fun?

he's a little small for a full sized bike, but i say go for it. you'll thank yourself in a year when a 85 is too small.

125 or 250f either one is great, depends on the riding type too though.

my vote is for the 125.

13 and a CR250?????? dayum! Mine will be 14 in Nov. Then again he has only been riding for a year and half.
He started on an 80 fourstroke at 9...I was certainly a little nervous when he started riding the 250...but its been almost a year..hes had some minor spills..but hes doing great..The key I think is being a little scared of it..Its taught him loads of respect for the throttle...This winter I will take him into some more challenging terrain..We just did the Mount Lemmon fire road down in Tuscon..Great ride for the kid..around 40 round trip ..3500 to 8000 ft....

The 250 has a flywheel weight and 14/53 gearing..So its toned down a hair...Easy setup to ride...

He started on an 80 fourstroke at 9...I was certainly a little nervous when he started riding the 250...but its been almost a year..hes had some minor spills..but hes doing great..The key I think is being a little scared of it..Its taught him loads of respect for the throttle...This winter I will take him into some more challenging terrain..We just did the Mount Lemmon fire road down in Tuscon..Great ride for the kid..around 40 round trip ..3500 to 8000 ft....

The 250 has a flywheel weight and 14/53 gearing..So its toned down a hair...Easy setup to ride...

On trails I would think he would probably be ok.....the track might be a completely different story. Then again he was riding around the "track" we ride in the desert.

Decisions......decisions

If he's 5'6", he's probably in range for the X. If the choice is CR85 or your X, given that you're in the desert SW, I'd say let him have the X. The X power, suspension and wheels are much better for sand than those of a CR85. My son was about that height when he took over my X, but I think he weighed a bit more and was coming off a CR85 at the time. BTW, my passed through the CR85 in about 9 months and never got used to the power band in off road riding. At 110 lbs, you'll definitely need to respring the X. The X is a bit heavy, so I made a deal with my son; If you ride it, you gotta pick it up. For the most part, he's stuck to the deal.

If you're open to other bikes, a 125 may split the difference nicely. You get power and suspension for sand with much less weight than the X and he shouldn't outgrow it soon. Plus, used 125's are dirt cheap to buy and maintain.

If he's 5'6", he's probably in range for the X. If the choice is CR85 or your X, given that you're in the desert SW, I'd say let him have the X. The X power, suspension and wheels are much better for sand than those of a CR85. My son was about that height when he took over my X, but I think he weighed a bit more and was coming off a CR85 at the time. BTW, my passed through the CR85 in about 9 months and never got used to the power band in off road riding. At 110 lbs, you'll definitely need to respring the X. The X is a bit heavy, so I made a deal with my son; If you ride it, you gotta pick it up. For the most part, he's stuck to the deal.

If you're open to other bikes, a 125 may split the difference nicely. You get power and suspension for sand with much less weight than the X and he shouldn't outgrow it soon. Plus, used 125's are dirt cheap to buy and maintain.

My X suspension would definately need to reworked since I had it set up for me at 230lbs and split between track and desert hardpan.

I seem to be leaning towards the 125....but it seems like every other day I say I want to go with a 450R...next day stay on the 250

:thumbsup:

id say a crf250r if hes doing mx or a 250x if hes doing trails

im 14 and ride a 06 crf 450

how long did it take to get used to the power?

can you ride it fast and manuver it like a smaller bike?

cause i have been thinking of one, but i want to know if ill ever be able to manuver it like i can my 100.

how long did it take to get used to the power?

can you ride it fast and manuver it like a smaller bike?

cause i have been thinking of one, but i want to know if ill ever be able to manuver it like i can my 100.

do not get a 450 coming from a crf100.. seriously..