Sign in to follow this  

what kind of mountain bike?

I'm in the same boat.I want a good fully suspended mt bike but when i see the prices i cant believe how high they are.I would try ebay.

I got a Schwinn Rocket at Dick's Sporting Goods that was was 700 retail for 350, I mostly use it for traing and not hardcore mt. biking, has about 800 miles on it and still works like new.

road cycling is the best training

Sounds exciting!! :ride:

Look for something used from MYBIKESITE.COM or other mountainbike websites.

Look for something your going to use, full suspension bikes are heavier and are not to fun going uphill!

HUFFY :thumbsup: remember you get what you pay for!! :applause:

Sorry boys, but you just can't buy a good bicycle for a couple of hundred dollars. Don't buy a bike from a box store. In general they are assembled poorly and you will get zero assistance. A larger sporting goods store may be better, but I doubt it.

Go to a bicycle shop. $400-$500 is about minimum for something that works and won't fall apart within the year. It will still be heavy. You have to get near $1000 to get a full suspended bike that's any good. Again, it will be heavy, but it will work.

When you consider you have to spend $3000-$5000 to get a nice road or mountain bike, $500 isn't so bad. If you buy a $200 anything, you're just throwing your money away. The nicer the bike, the apt you are to ride it.

You might be better off looking for used, from a bike shop. Something that's 3-4 years old and in decent shape, will bring about 1/2 retail value.

for a couple hundred you are buying a bike that really shouldn't be taken offroad at all, you get cheap brakes, cheap shifters, etc. just new bearings, & axle put in my rear wheel & a tuneup cost me $150.00,, Like others have said, avoid full suspension, front suspension fork & suspension seat post if your butt really needs it. you do get what ya paid for

I've got a Gary Fisher Sugar 3. I paid like 1200 for it. Its the best bike I've ever owned. It has been very good to me for the last 3 years and I ride race level trails 4x's a week.

This may sound silly but the better the bike, the easier it will be to ride. Cheaper bikes become resistant to roll once the cheap components break in. Once they are broken in, they are pretty much just broken or need of replacing. I ride a 96 Rocky Mountain and it's still taking the punishment after 10 hard years. I tried road biking for my endurance training, but off-road mountain biking is really more suitable for the terrain that I ride on my Dirt Bike.

whats a good brand bike ??? huffy, specialized, trek???so many whats a good one for a couple hundred $

Oh boy...you're talking my language now. It's a great way to not only build a great cardio base, but also the coordination skills needed for tight nasty single track. I've been mountainbiking for about ten years now and feel I'm a better trail rider on my 450X than I would have by not building my roots in mountainbiking.

If you're on a budget of a couple hundred bucks, I would stress that you stick to a hardtail setup. You wont find anything but a 40 lb tank if you try to get a full suspension setup at that budget. You wont enjoy a heavy bike. If you have to, I would even hold off for a bit until you scrape together $400 beans at least.

The Cannondales and Treks will be pricey. Great middle of the line bikes would be Jamis, Haro, and KHS. Specialized has a great, wide range of nicely equiped bike like the Rockhopper Disc. Also check EBay...I sold a sweet 1 year old Trek a couple years ago for something like $500 bucks.

I would also check out www.mtbr.com which is probably one of your best resources for anything mountainbiking....good luck!

You guys keep knocking some of the fully suspended bikes. Don't completely knock them. I ride a Kona Coiler with six inched up front and five in the back for travel and I can out climb a lot of guys who ride nice hardtails. It's all about training. Yes it is harder to climb on but I get a much better workout with it and it's a lot more fun coming down the hills with all that travel. I've been rifing mountain bikes for over ten years and my biggest advice is if you can spend the extra money spend it on components when you buy. You'll thank yourself later. Also don't let your buddy take your bike into the shop for you because it might come back with over 5 pounds of lead weight in the seat tube that he doesn't tell you about for a year. Good training though. AMF

No knocking FS bikes here. I'm on my 2nd Jamis Dakar and love it :applause: ,.... but on a "couple hundred" dollar budget, he's better off with the Hardtail so he can have a decent, lighter frame and better components, rather than spending the extra money just to have a "full suspension" bike.

I think Ruffus hit the nail on the head here :thumbsup:

for a couple hundred you are buying a bike that really shouldn't be taken offroad at all, you get cheap brakes, cheap shifters, etc. just new bearings, & axle put in my rear wheel & a tuneup cost me $150.00,, Like others have said, avoid full suspension, front suspension fork & suspension seat post if your butt really needs it. you do get what ya paid for

No knocking FS bikes here. I'm on my 2nd Jamis Dakar and love it :thumbsup: ,.... but on a "couple hundred" dollar budget, he's better off with the Hardtail so he can have a decent, lighter frame and better components, rather than spending the extra money just to have a "full suspension" bike.
I couldnt agree more. I run my suspension almost at the minimum anyway. Check eBay though, there may be some good buys on there on some decent bikes. Better than what 200 bucks would get you at Sports Authority.

If he is using it just for cross training wouldn't a heavier bike be a better workout? The full suspesion tank sounds like it would be easier on the joints and harder on the cardiovascular system, which is what he needs. Easier isn't always better.

Dont buy a huffy or anything from toys r us not cool. I had mine for a few days and peddaling up a hill today the peddal snapped off and i almost ate it. And the gears are crap.

If you want to save money here is what I suggest. Go visit a couple of bike shops. Tell them you want their advice on the cheapest "real" mountain bike. One that you can ride on real trails and ride through creeks etc. I suggest front forks but not rear shocks (hard tail). Have them explain what components you get as you go higher in price. Then pick the shop/bike you like the best. Seven years ago I did the same thing. At the time I paid about $350 for a GT. I've put a good bit of miles on it and it's still doing well. Last year, I put hybrid, street/trail tires on it and I ride on sidewalks, greenways, dirt roads and back roads.