Sign in to follow this  

'05 150 Carb problems

OK, I installed the new jets and needle per the 150 sticky (16012-KPT-921 needle, 99113-GHB-1100 main jet, 99103-KPT-0420 slow jet),

removed the baffle, backfire screen, and snorkel, and installed a properly oiled UNI filter. Only one problem - the %$^#& thing won't run without the choke. With the chone in the 1st position, the bike runs great. Move it down to the normal run position and it dies. Let it run with the choke on for a few minutes - move it to the run position and it dies. Start it with the choke on, twist the throttle to wide open and move the choke lever to the normal position and it'll cough and sputter for a while, then die. Replace the plug. No change. Adjust the idle. No change. Play with the fuel screw. No change. Blow all the passages clean. No change.

This thing is driving me crazy! I'm about ready to drain the tank over the bike and torch it. Any thing I missed before I just give in and shove it off a cliff?

Seph

I've never heard of anybody that uses an aftermarket needle on their 150. I also read a post coeshow made saying that the best needle to use in a 150/230 is the stock needle. What position is the clip on the needle? I've also heard stories of peoples bikes actually catching fire, because they removed the backfire screen or something. Twin Air makes a filter for the 150 with a built in backfire screen and I'm pretty sure it flows just like your freshly oiled UNI, but I don't think the backfire screen actually restricts much air. IMO put the backfire screen back in. Then again it's just my opinion :thumbsup: .

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242745

Needle height is having no affect- I've tried it the middle 3 positions with the exact same results.

I've run bikes for years without backfire screens and never had a problem. The odds of torching a bike are slim to none. I was trying to get the max amount of air-flow - the fact that the bike is running when the choke is on makes me think its running too rich for some reason.

Well, I'd love to have a bike that I could even think about throwing on a dyno totest which needleis better. This POS won't even run. Doesn't matter which needleI have in the thing,or which position the clip is in. It runs when the choke is on, then dies as soon as the choke is turned off. I've even put the whole thing back to stock with absolutly no change.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Did you turn the idle up? I have always had to adjust the idle when re jetting.

Have you checked to see if the carb is sealing properly at the rubber intake? Maybe the inlet needle is plugged or the float is stuck/bent closed?

I just did the "power up" on my 150. I used the 110 main jet and 42 pilot jet, but left the needle and clip alone for now. I am going to monitor the plug, and see if further adjustments are necessary. I took it out for a ride last night, and man what a difference! Many thanks to all who posted their "power up" information.

OK, I figured the problem out right before I decided to torch the bike. :ride: There was a small shaving of brass off the new slow jet. When I installed the jet, the shaving came loose and got stuck in the carb. I inspected the jets before I installed them, but the loose piece was tiny - I only spotted it when I was inspecting the carb under a magnifying lense.

Bike runs great now. :thumbsup: Thanks for the help.

Seph

OK, I installed the new jets and needle per the 150 sticky (16012-KPT-921 needle, 99113-GHB-1100 main jet, 99103-KPT-0420 slow jet),

removed the baffle, backfire screen, and snorkel, and installed a properly oiled UNI filter. Only one problem - the %$^#& thing won't run without the choke. With the chone in the 1st position, the bike runs great. Move it down to the normal run position and it dies. Let it run with the choke on for a few minutes - move it to the run position and it dies. Start it with the choke on, twist the throttle to wide open and move the choke lever to the normal position and it'll cough and sputter for a while, then die. Replace the plug. No change. Adjust the idle. No change. Play with the fuel screw. No change. Blow all the passages clean. No change.

This thing is driving me crazy! I'm about ready to drain the tank over the bike and torch it. Any thing I missed before I just give in and shove it off a cliff?

Seph

Hey Seph,

What is the procedure for removing the backfire screen?

What is the procedure for removing the backfire screen?

The best way I've found is to remove the plate it is attached to and use a drimmel tool with a cut off disc.