Sign in to follow this  

Main jet question

Can the main jet be replaced without removing carb? I have a 05 S CA model.

I installed a FMF powercore pipe and new UNI air filter I am going to do the 3x3 to the air box and install a 165 main jet. I was hoping there is a trick to the main jet.

Technically yes. Just take the bowl off the bottom. However, if you never did this or didn't replace the screws it will be hard.

Are you sure about the 165 main jet? If you do not do the JD or JD jet kit, you might go to a 145 but not a 165. If you put in a jet kit, you stay with the 142.5 in there now.

The FMF pipe instructions say to replace the 142.5 with a 165 and remove the snorkle. Is this not right?

Their instructions for your S version and the instructions for the E version both say 165 main. I would venture to say the E version instructions came first and all they did was was add an "S" to their instructions when updating instructions for the S model. The E version has a completely different carb (an FCR), so it's jetting is completely different.

Bottom line: Listen to the experts here, the FMF instructions for the S is a 'typo'.

You should buy the "S" specific jet kit and a #25 Pilot jet and do this along with the 3x3 air box mod. Do some searches here, there's plenty of info. Here's a link to the DJ kit instructions for the S so you can get an idea.

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/3109.pdf

The FMF pipe instructions say to replace the 142.5 with a 165 and remove the snorkle. Is this not right?

Not even close:

142.5 (stock) or 145 MJ

25 PJ

4th clip

2.5 on fuel screw

That is the standard set up. 165 would be way too much.

Thank you for all the HELP.

I'm going the call TT store on Monday and buy a Dynojet jet kit and a screw kit, is there anything else I should get?

I installed the FMF powercore pipe, UNI air filter and removed the snorkle. The bike runs good but pops with you let off the gas. Is this normal or do I need to do something more?

You didn't do the jet kit yet, right? You need to do that to work best with the things you've already done.