Sign in to follow this  

Soft saddlebags

Those of you using soft saddlebags on your DR650... What, if anything, do you do to keep the right side saddlebag from melting to the muffler? The little muffler cover gets pretty hot. I have a Suzuki rack and usually a passenger, so I want to slide the bags as far back as possible.

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm in the same market right now and have been combing over the posts on ADV and Yahoo. So far the candidates are:

Dirt-Bagz, Rangers

Moto-Sport Yukon II setup

Happy Trails racks or the Moto-Sport racks with any soft bags (I am thinking Ortlieb Dry Bags with this setup.

Any other suggestions? Not looking for Givis or Pelicans or any hard bags, although they are appealing, just not in my price range or needs at the moment. Maybe someday when I buy a big touring machine or something.

So, let's beat this thread to death so I can spend some dough. :thumbsup:

Moto-Sport racks and Teknic expandable bags. No issues with the hot side.

A sturdy, compact setup. Always have the option of mounting hard bags to them too.

:thumbsup:

Look at the Moto-Sport carriers very closely, they like to center their brackets over or slightly forward of the rear axle.

Gary

Wolfman luggage.Eric wolfman who owned a dr 650 Is the Jesse of luggage.I bought the recomended rear bag and the right side is higher and hangs safely away from the exhaust.I have not tried 2 up with luggage,going from what I know about the fit it would work with smaller people.

I purchased some Happy Trails racks for my '01 KTM Adventure and was very happy with them. Very sturdy design and allow you to mount most soft bags quite easily. I'll be getting another set for my DR 650!

I had expandable soft bags, (but for some reason the brand has escaped me.... :thumbsup: ) and a large capacity "dry bag" for across the top....it worked well for me and kept my stuff dry!

Good luck!

I'm about to test a rig I've set up using some 12ga galvanize bars of steel, two matching surplus computer bags and one larger (pilot's?) bag, all secured to the bike with strapping torn from garage sale knapsacks and shoulder bags. I'll see if I can post a photo on the DR650 BBS.

This seems to be the best technique (of posting images, not necessarily of fitting bags...)

http://glm811.bravehost.com/Bags.html

I'll be back by Thurs to, hopefully with the bags still attached. I'll defer raving about how cheap a setup it is until after I've proven that it works. :thumbsup:

Well, it pretty much worked - a plastic clip borrowed from a computer bag failed after about 40mi and som fairly rough stuff, but nothing else broke. The two bags and top case turned out to be too small even for one person, one night. Extra space for the mini-stove and fuel cans, extra clothes, a heavier sleeping bag, etc, all would have been helpful.

In summary: as a saddlebag and top box system, it was cheap and it was worth it. I probably will use it again until I get the bug to set up larger metal boxes. Total cost about $50 - $25 of bungee cord, flat steel bars, and other hardware, and about $25 in surplus computer bags and garage-sale bought computer bags that gave their straps and buckles to the cause.

To respond to the original question in this thread...I put at 15" of 12ga steel bolted to the frame just behind the rearmost exhaust bolt, bent to stick out 5-6" away from the frame and then 9-10" pointing forwards and down towards the frontfoot peg (only one mounting bolt). I also jammed some alu foil between the plastic sidecover and the exhaust at the rear contact point to ensure that the bag did not squish the cover onto the exhaust.

Here's my quick and dirty write-up: http://glm811.bravehost.com/MCTrip.html