Sign in to follow this  

ttr/wr??

run a search on the two bikes. you can google them also. you will get all the specs to compare. the wr is basically a yzf with some additional features. the ttr is air cooled, the wr liquid cooled. the wr has a lot more hp, dohc, better suspension. the list goes on and on.

ttr doesnt make a 250..its a 230

:thumbsup:

Wow.

Anyway...the TTR-250 from my understanding weighs alot more...the suspension is not nearly as good...and doesnt put out as much power as the WR does.

Never owned one but i was going to buy one at one time....then i saw the WR was better...but didnt have the cash.

Ydogsfly basically said it...the WR is a YZF that has been made more trailable...heavier flywheel, elec. start, different gearing, 18" rear wheel instead of 19" (for better rim protection from rocks).

The TT-R250 is a great trail bike but if you want to go fast you need a WR...better suspension, way more power, better handling. The WR will require a more rigid maintenance schedule though...it is a high-performance water-cooled bike that is tuned more specifically than the TT-R's and built with tighter tolerances. That requires more maintenance.

Ydogsfly basically said it...the WR is a YZF that has been made more trailable...heavier flywheel, elec. start, different gearing, 18" rear wheel instead of 19" (for better rim protection from rocks).

The TT-R250 is a great trail bike but if you want to go fast you need a WR...better suspension, way more power, better handling. The WR will require a more rigid maintenance schedule though...it is a high-performance water-cooled bike that is tuned more specifically than the TT-R's and built with tighter tolerances. That requires more maintenance.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head ^^^^ Simply put, if you are not that into dirtbikes, the TTR250 is the way to go. If you think that you will really get into it (or if you like a whole lot of tuning) the WR250F is the way to go.

i will not be going fast, i have a xt225 that just isnt quite enough. but my rm 250 that is for sale is way too much.

the wr250 is heavy and slow. The ttr250 is really heavy and really slow. Sounds like the second one is what your looking for.

Its like comparing an XR to a CRF. I moto'd a WR for about 4 months. I did certain mods that made it Moto ready and it worked great. I would have had to do a complete 100% makeover to make a (any) TTR Moto ready.

That being said, the WR was an AWESOME all around bike. In the end I sold it for a CRF450, but I still believe the WR was a great bike. The TTR on the other hand, would have been parts in one month. It is in no way shape or form moto ready or ready for hard use.

the wr250 is heavy and slow. The ttr250 is really heavy and really slow. Sounds like the second one is what your looking for.

Like hell the wr is slow.

WR is a YZ in trail form, you can make it into a YZ if you really wanted to. However, a TTR is pretty much a basic trail bike, less power, smaller engine, way different suspension than both the WR and YZ, and could not become a YZ no matter how hard you tried.

i will not be going fast, i have a xt225 that just isnt quite enough. but my rm 250 that is for sale is way too much.

sounds like the wr would be good for you. before doing any free mods to open it up, it will be pretty tame. then when you get used to it, do the free mods and you have a 250cc race bike. even with the wr all boxed up it is still better and faster than a ttr. you would most likely get pretty bored with the ttr quickly. the ttr is going to be comparable to your xt225.

I sold a ttr225 recently. So I now exactly what the xt225 is like. The TTR250, when opened up a bit, is a lot more bike than the 225. It is a better performing bike with a better susupension. But the ttr's are heavy.

The WR's, on the other hand, weigh about 10-15lbs less, have a tunable suspension and is basically an enduro or off-road racing bike. Its a much better bike.

btw... the maintenance on those wr's are not bad at all. After the break in and initial valve adjustment, you'll simply be doing oil and grease maintenance for a long, long time. I was concerned too, but it is really nothing to worry about at all.

If you want to do a little maintenance yourself, then the wr's are what you need. Just don't open them up and they are very controllable, much more manageable power than a rm250.

If you want that gas-n-go reliability of an aircooled bike, then I suggest you look at an xr400 or a drz400. You will get more power, but not freaky, scary power.

Like hell the wr is slow.

I agree, the wr is not slow... when compared to the ttr. I shouldn't say slow though, it is underpowered and overweight. Just my opinion. If your into heavy trail bikes with put you to sleep power delivery, the wr is the bike for you. Glad your happy with yours though, that is what it is all about.