Sign in to follow this  

Carbon Fiber Pipe Guard Causes Loss of Power??

I am only bringing this back up because there was a thread a few months ago where the theory was presented that the carbon fiber pipe guards caused the pipes to retain heat and change the flow characteristics of the pipe....thereby causing a loss of horsepower.

I have a carbon fiber pipe guard and have noticed no loss of power. It did make me wonder though. Then I read this on the Zip Ty site about the ceramic coated "Flow" exhausts....now I REALLY question the theory that the retaining the heat is bad.

"Always looking for an edge, Ty demands ceramic coating on his well-tested pipes to raise the interior temperature of the main chamber, thereby altering the expansion rate of spent gases for MORE horsepower. Now you can have the same power and durability that Ty demands: Simply put, “…this pipe pulls strongly everywhere… It’s user friendly, and gives the rider confidence to twist the throttle and experience robust acceleration – not fear in the motorcycle.” – Ty"

I dont know about it causing a advantage, maybe a small loss of power. All the gaurds are for is so you dont burn your self and to keep heat off the radiators and off the motor. That statement at the bottem of your post doesnt really make sense to me??

The ONLY reason I run a carbon fiber pipe guard is for the protection of the pipe and of course...in all honesty...the BLING factor. I just question either theory...would be nice to see a side by side comparison....on a dyno hehe

I was the one that notced a decrease in power with the addition of a carbon fiber guard.

Raising the exhaust heat in a expansion chamber usually moves the power curve up higher in the RPM range... its one of the reasons why retarding ignition timing will increase the top-end power (while losing some bottom), because retarding the timing also sends more heat into the expansions chamber.

I dont know much about this Zip-ty guy but what I do know is most of his stuff is focused on off-road/GNCC and woods riding. am I correct? If so then this would make since of why he prefers a ceramic coated pipe...... Trail bikes dont make nearly the same amount of exhaust heat as a motocross bike running full steam on a motocross track.

For me on a motocross track running full steam the pipe guard robbed too much bottom mid-range thrust (hense the higher exhuast temps moving the power curve upward and out of reach). Thats good for bikes that make most of thier power in the top-end, but the YZ is a mid-range thrusting bike, if you move the power upward then you move the power out of its range and out of reach.

I think if holding exhaust heat was good for motocross then factory motocross and supercross teams would have been doing it a long time ago. However, for off road riding... it might be a very good thing!

This is just my opinion. :thumbsup:

Yes, but wasnt it all cut open with very large holes drilled through it?

Maybe they knew if it held the heat it would cause a power loss?

Maybe they only wanted the protection for the particular track but not the power loss? :thumbsup:

Yes, but wasnt it all cut open with very large holes drilled through it?

Maybe they knew if it held the heat it would cause a power loss?

Maybe they only wanted the protection for the particular track but not the power loss? :thumbsup:

most likely but who needs protection on a works bike that is rebuilt every weekend?

When you need to finish the race, and your on a track with rocks and stuff that a crushed pipe can end your day. I know I have crushed pipes to the point of useless a few times in my life... and most times they were from stupid crashes in corners

By the way, I dont really know what I'm talking about... I too am just trying to figure this one out just like you. I was not happy to remove my pipe guard, it looked so good.

Anyone else have any test results with guards?

that's cool....hey that is why I threw it out there....just to see what you guys thought....and I am bored this evening! LOL :thumbsup:

What I do know is the aluminum pipe guard didnt seem to effect my power. It does have holes and slits in it so it doesnt retain heat that much. But Aluminum looks like pure ASS!

Its not pretty like the E-line guard

the only reason people run a pipe guard is to not burn themselves and keep heat of the radiators????.. call me crazy but I believe they are for not denting you pipe up, at least on a 2-stroke that is.

I'm surpirsed a mag like dirtbike has not done a test on this.. I'd would also like to see a dyno...

Sorry to ressurect (sp)

Awhile back I was heavy into road racing piston port karts and got into the exotic (for that time) ceramic coated chambers and high temp wraps for the piping leading into the expansion chamber.

I don't see this much on bikes. Has anyone ever experimented with wraping the 'header' portion leading into the chamber to retain as much heat as possible before expansion?

Thanks

On karts dont you guys favor top-end screamers? Holding heat in the pipe will increase the top-end power.

In motocross we like alot of bottom to mid with enough top to get to the next gear, maybe thats why they havent started coating the pipes like they do in kart racing?

the only reason people run a pipe guard is to not burn themselves and keep heat of the radiators????.. call me crazy but I believe they are for not denting you pipe up, at least on a 2-stroke that is.

I'm surpirsed a mag like dirtbike has not done a test on this.. I'd would also like to see a dyno...

I would hate to see the mags do testing like this. It will waste valuable editorial pages. If dirt rider did this, this month, we would have lost that wonderful article on diong the superman seat grab. Now thats READING!!! :thumbsup:

I remember seeing rc's bike and the pipe guard had holes in it. Giant holes. This picure shows a solid guard. I wonder why? Did rc notice a power difference?