Sign in to follow this  

back to a 2 stroke

Thinking of going back to a smoker. I'm currently on an 01 426. It's a horse for sure and I do love it on the big wide open mx sand tracks here in the Carolinas. I hate it in the woods. it could never touch my last 00' 250 mxc in the trees, but I mostly moto. Thinking of a new 250 sx which I'm sure i can slice through the woods on, or maybe a 300 xc. What would I need to do to a 300 for moto? Seems like a 300 set up for MX would be perfect.

Go with a 250xc or 300xc. Like mike said check the rules if your racing, but I think the 300 is fine in vet classes. The XC's are basically MX bikes already with a slightly bigger gas tank. My 200xc worked as good as my 250sx on the track.

If you mostly MX, id get the 250SX. Better frame, better forks then the XC's. Next year the XC's might get the new frame and fork, but SX has it now.

To ride the SX in the woods, probably only need a FWW. I ride a mostly stock CR on trails and single track, I'm sure the SX would be much easier to ride cause the CR has no low end at all, but its got a GREEN sticker, and in CA, that is important.

not too concerned with modified 300 problems. I ride Vet classes. That 300 seems like it could be a stud if properly set up for moto. But I think the SX is of course already set for moto and I could buy a big tank and armor for my off road days. That might even be the cheapest route. No green stickers here.

The 250SX is so lite it would be illegal in AMA pro classes. That is the bike I'd go for it I bought orange right now.

Lucky man, the whole green/red sticker thing is a mess. That is why I just bougth a 2002 used bike. I wanted to ride this summer, and all the new bikes I wanted (ie. 2-stroke) were red sticker.

Good luck,