Sign in to follow this  

good first truck?

trying to get an idea of price range, and which truck. i decided to get a truck so i stay out of trouble, so im starting to look around. im gonna start saving up to pay my 250X off so i can afford a payment no problem.

so....

i like,

-big big engine. love diesel. love stacks on em

-duallys rock. but not a requirment, though i would prefer it.

-4 door. with plenty of room inside.

-power windows

-single compact disc player

-sliding rear window

older, like 2000. but not "too" old. if its a good year, im all ears.

any suggestions outside of what i like are also great. just looking for some general info.

Do you do a lot of heavy hauling? If not, its a waste. If you want a big truck just get a half-ton with the biggest V8 they offer.

The maintenance costs of a diesel are very expensive and just not worth it unless you do a lot of heavy hauling.

Do you do a lot of heavy hauling? If not, its a waste. If you want a big truck just get a half-ton with the biggest V8 they offer.

The maintenance costs of a diesel are very expensive and just not worth it unless you do a lot of heavy hauling.

I disagree with that totally. Running a diesel most of the time is cheaper, or to me all of the time. You can get just as good of gas mileage with a diesel, and it can haul a crap load. I have been checking out prices, and diesel's and gassers seem to cost about the same to buy. :thumbsup::ride:

I disagree with that totally. Running a diesel most of the time is cheaper, or to me all of the time. You can get just as good of gas mileage with a diesel, and it can haul a crap load. I have been checking out prices, and diesel's and gassers seem to cost about the same to buy. :thumbsup::ride:

RRRRRR Wrong. Do the math again. If you are not running long miles, or towing heavy loads regularly, a diesel will cost you WAY more in maintenence, and upkeep. Used or new, the KBB value is much higher, and on the avg, gas is cheaper than diesel. For a teenage kids first truck, I would never reccomend a 1 ton with a diesel unless he will be traveling long distances, or hauling heavy loads.

I vote find a good used smaller truck, fuel isn't going to get any cheaper, and to buy a 1 ton just to have it is the dumbest thing I have heard. You owe money on a toy, and are going to take another loan to buy a bigger toy. While the truck may be a good truck, its not likely the best fit for your needs or budget.

A good Ranger, S10, or Dakota can be had less than 5 years old for less than $4k with good options, low miles and good condition.

trying to get an idea of price range, and which truck. i decided to get a truck so i stay out of trouble, so im starting to look around. im gonna start saving up to pay my 250X off so i can afford a payment no problem.

so....

i like,

-big big engine. love diesel. love stacks on em

-duallys rock. but not a requirment, though i would prefer it.

-4 door. with plenty of room inside.

-power windows

-single compact disc player

-sliding rear window

older, like 2000. but not "too" old. if its a good year, im all ears.

any suggestions outside of what i like are also great. just looking for some general info.

Ford Ranger. It has none of what you just said, which makes it a good first truck.

Ummmm, no. A diesel is going to cost you $3000-$4000 more and whatever it might save you in fuel costs you will more than make up in maintenance costs. A diesel takes twice as much oil, takes 2 oil filters that cost $10 each, you have the turbo maintenance and you have 2 batteries.

Ford Ranger. It has none of what you just said, which makes it a good first truck.

Thats what i was going to say, get a ranger or like a Tacoma, both reliable and good on gas, and easy to fix...but i noticed the kid only wanted big stuff..and top of the line futures

Plus to reply to what other said, i agree diesel is a waste if u ain't towing...plus the price of diesel gas alone is alot more right now than regular gas

Not to mention they are the most reliable. 200,000 on mine now, everything original, only thing I do is change oil every 3,000 miles, along with put gas in it.

Sounds like you better start saving some money for gas on the truck you want.

eww, gross. i hate rangers.

ok, so no diesel. thats all good.

ram 1500 w/ V8 5.2, 5 speed manual?

i hate small trucks. thats lame. mini trucks suck

any "bigger" non diesel then?

Skyline, you need to think farther ahead than "Coolsville". Think about making those $400 truck payments and $250 insurance tabs while trying to pass your college courses, and pay for them at the same time. Get a reasonable, moderately priced truck that will haul your bikes and butt from point A to point B reliably.

Take the time to put all the costs on paper, and don't forget repairs, all vehicles break.

How much do you have saved for a truck?

i will be buying one for no more than 10K. i have a job waiting on me paying 16 an hour guaranteed, that also pays my way through trade school since im not going to college.

i also dont have to pay insurance. its covered on a family thing done through them.

so instead of saving up to put down on a truck, i am going to save up this whole year, and pay off my 250X.

that way all i have to pay for is truck payment, gas,food, and toys. :thumbsup:

i know, it sucks that i have that opprotunity. lol.

thats the only reason im willing to go out and do this. so i dont want a truck that i wont be happy with.

i would rather have the small payment on 10K and have a really nice truck, i can keep for years and years.

i hate small trucks. thats lame. mini trucks suck

Id rather have a minitruck. Where am i gonna take my Toyota? EVERYWHERE :thumbsup:

I love Nissan Frontiers. But i would look at f150s and such if thats what you want.

Ok I still disagree with you guys. I have 7 vehicles, 4 diesels and 3 gassers. The diesels are way cheaper to run. Two oil filters???....&%$#@!???? Because here is the thing, the diesels are zero maintenence and they have a hell of alot more power than a gasser. Call it as it is, but I know first hand what it costs to run between the two and the diesel is running me cheaper right now than any gasser.