Sign in to follow this  

Sprained ankle (again), boot recommendations please!

My dumb fault, but landed hard off a jump and was on the balls of my feet on the pegs when the bike landed g-ed out, causing my ankle to hyperflex (not sure if that's the technical name--just sounds good). Not the first time i've done this and pretty much my left ankle is very weak.

What's the best boot on the market that can best provide protection from this happening again and good for weak ankles?

I know i have to concentrate more on foot positioning as well.

Also, any recommendations with ankle braces?

Thankyou!

Jonny

Landing hard with the balls of your feet on the pegs is really something that you need to prevent, not rely on boots. When I am coming up for a hard landing, I move to my arches.

I use SIDI boots, they are amazing.

while on the topic of boots...i can only afford some cheap boot, so i thought about getting the Fox tracker????...i think that is the one...its the cheaper boot....well i wanted to know if they are any good, and would they be suitable for a weekend race(once i get my new bike)

Take drmark's (professional) advice, better equipment is hundreds (sometimes thousands) of dollars cheaper than doctor bills!

I bought a pair of 10's last night, everything else i have is the best, Ast. cell knee braces, shoei helmet, etc.

Aaron you're so right, it was my fault, also at the time was trying my friend's CRF450 vs. my RMZ450 with wider foot pegs.

Tech 10s offer very little metatarsal protection in some situations. That might not be an issue to you, but 5 broken bones have mine up on ebay. Sg10s have replaced them.

In my case tech 10s MAY have cost me almost $30,000 in medical bills.

KK2, i've heard someone say the same about the SG10's having no metatarsal protection. Please explain in what way they do offer more protection because vs. tech 10's, i don't want to spend $300+ for boots that aren't any better than my Tech 8's.

I believe it's the three buckle system, however I am not an expert on the subject. When I put one boot of each on and crouch down the tech 10 actually loosens and expands around the toe area. The tech 8s and sg10s bulge around the ankle a bit, but still keep the foot snug.

Any way you cut it all boots have their ups and downs. I thought tech 10s were the ultimate in protection, but they too have weaknesses. I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you don't kick anything to hard or, like in my case, let your bike body slam you.

on the subject of boots, I'm also looking for a boot with less flex in the metatarsal area. Im currently sidelined with about 8 pins in my metatarsals because my fox forma pros gave way in the middle and crushed my foot. not too happy about fox formas. I need a boot with a stronger sole, any suggestions?

I think the sidi crossfire with the srs soles offer the most protection. I tried them, but they did not fit my foot as well as the sg10s.

Well ....i certainly agree with drmark, but unlike you guys i can't afford to get all this stuff i mean it just aint working...I do not think my question was ...correctly percieved...and when I said cheaper boots...i meant...what boots that are proabably 250$ or a little more or a little less ... that offer good protection....oh...dude i am sorry to hear bout the metatarsal stuff...

Also...i think the cheapest motocross boots are better than i got now...(work boots with no anckle protection)...so that is where i am coming from...(hehe...i used to ride in tennis shoes..)...that is a stupid move...

Well ....i certainly agree with drmark, but unlike you guys i can't afford to get all this stuff

After laying on my back for the last 3 months... sorry I just do not see how the last $150 makes that much of a difference ($250 vs $400).

Just google 2005 sg10 or 2006 sidi crossfires - basically get "last years boots online" of the boot you want. Personally I would like to find a store that had several good boots side by side to compare and try on.

best of luck.

i checked out the sidi's and they look way cool but i can't try them on or anything because ther are no dealers here in Hawaii that stock them, so who out there has them and how do they feel and fit? thanks

Boy, at least I am not the only one with a foot injury.

On July 26, I faced the backside of a double and my Talus pushed up and forward throught the front of my tibia. 9 screws and an 'L' shaped plate later, I will be on crutches probably into middle October. That sucks, especially since I had a tib/fib fracture last summer on the same darn leg. This is getting old.....but then again, so am I.

I will be purchasing new boots over the winter, and I will be spending the $400 range for the Sidi's, Tech 10's, or SG10's. I will do anything ,short of not riding, to stay off these darn crutches next summer.