Sign in to follow this  

Sprained ankle (again), foot placement & boot recommendations please!

My dumb fault, but landed hard off a jump and was on the balls of my feet on the pegs when the bike landed g-ed out, causing my ankle to hyperflex (not sure if that's the technical name--just sounds good). Not the first time i've done this and pretty much my left ankle is very weak from numerous sprains and ligaments are stretched.

What's the best foot placement on the pegs to prevent this and what's the best boot on the market that can best provide protection from this happening again and good for weak ankles?

Also, any recommendations with ankle braces?

Thankyou!

Jonny

alpine stars tech6-8, sports store ankle brace(wrap type) foot placement is fine thats how i ride, you could put your feet forward alittle bit more if you wanted. what boots are you riding with now??

I have always jumped with my arches on the pegs. I have landed very hard and my ankle has never even started to hurt.

If you want ankle protection, the only boots that work are the new hinged style. Old style boots just do not cut it. I wear SIDI's. Excellent. The SG-10's from Gaerne or the Tech10's should really help you out. I have done what you did with my SIDI's and they work. No need to stuff your boot full of ankle brace or anything like that.

James

I wear SG10s and have still rocked my ankles coming up short. I borrowed a pair of Tech 10s one day after I forgot mine and I really felt that they were better for coming up short. I won't say who but he is one of the best to throw a leg over a motorcycle and he told me "if you're gonna case do it in those".

Thanks guys! I currently wear tech 8's (sorry, should've mentioned that). I'm leaning towards tech 10's.

Mikerides, he's not Doug Henry?

SIDI Crossfires are a very good boot... The Tech 10's are good too and have good support but the Crossfires are over all, to me, a better boot. Cheaper too.

Thanks Ifly, someone else recommended the crossfires, last night just bought a pair of Tech 10's.

Mikerides, by far one of the nicest guys i've met and my personal GOAT! Next time remind him to bring enough race fuel when he comes back down here to Florida. :thumbsup:

Let us know how you like the T10s. He is the GOAT. I understand he runs out of gas frequently- he never lets off!. :thumbsup:

What you're explaining is a common injury. A friend of mine tore his accilies tendon and broke his ankle and didn't even land very hard.

The rule of thumb or toe so to speak is that if you're not using the shifter or the rear brake you should be on the balls of your feet (between the toe and the arch). The exception to this rule is that if you're going to land hard from a jump you should be on the arches of your feet.

I prefer the Tech 8 Alpinestar boots because they have a good feel to them and still have a lot of support. Any boots that get worn out are going to lose a lot of support though.

Doing a lot of calf raises and building up those ankles would definatly help a lot. :thumbsup:

Thank you Gary!

Calf-raised I believe are the only thing that kept me from tearing my achil. tendon or braking my ankle. I do 4 sets of 15 rep @ 400lbs. at the gym, so my calfs are definately in shape. I was under the impression to ride on the arches more or less. Sometimes when coming up short or over shooting a landing and landing hard, I don't even think about foot placement, but rather freeze up and tighten up upon entry.

This weekend I bought an ankle brace (laces & velcro) to wear under my boots. Hopefully this will help.