Sign in to follow this  

KDX gearing?

alright im getting a new front and back sprockets for my 96 KDX200 and should i go with the stock gearing, or should i go with a different gearing because somtimes i hear peple saying go to up in the back for more topend or somethin help would be appreciated because im kinda lost on all this gearing stuff :thumbsup:

the closer in size the two sprockets are, the faster the bike will go, but the slower the take-off will be. If you keep what you have for a front sprocket and up the size of the back sprocket, you will have better take-off and worse top speed. I would step up the back or step down the front, for more low-end. You dont need to be going 75. :thumbsup:

I would stay at stock, The kdx already has a lot of low end, but it all depends on the type of riding you do. I go out to the dez every now and then so i need the top end to keep up.

What type of riding do you normally do??

Are you getting a new chain at the same time? I hope so, as they tend to wear out as a group and an old chain will wear out new sprockets faster than a new chain will.

I'm a big guy , and run in the N.E. and in the thick of it ....I dropped a smaller countershaft sproket in to give me more power/ less top speed.....It worked out GREAT .....If you're running in fields and not much rough terrain, the stock gearing is fine and will pull you along at a pretty good clip ......Jim