Starter noise

Hi there, i know there's a lot of question about this sort of issue, i did use the search button but no good results, just a couple of them.

When i swith off the engine, it sounds a clunk loud noise, the others 2 yamaha i've had did the same noise when you switch off the engine, but i know the known ploblems on ttr's starters. It's normal this sound on ttr's? is there a method tp stop the engine to avoid that sound? i read in ttr250.com forum that some guys tried to stop the engine in gear and play with the clutch. What do you think about that? ?

Pretty much a normal sound for these bikes. It is kind of scary to think your engine is making that noise. Anyone know EXACTLY what causes the noise? I fried 2-3 starter clutches out of my old TTR, I thought that might have had something to do with it.

Anyone know EXACTLY what causes the noise? .

My guess is the heavy flywheels on these TT-Rs has something to do with it. My sisters TRX 250ex, my aunts Recon 250ex, and my uncles Bayou 250 all do the same thing when you hit the kill switch. CRF/Xs and WRs, KTMs and Huskys don't make that sound...those bikes all have significantly lighter flywheels than regular trail bikes

My guess is the heavy flywheels on these TT-Rs has something to do with it. My sisters TRX 250ex, my aunts Recon 250ex, and my uncles Bayou 250 all do the same thing when you hit the kill switch. CRF/Xs and WRs, KTMs and Huskys don't make that sound...those bikes all have significantly lighter flywheels than regular trail bikes

Very interesting to know that, anyone know if this happens on the XR 250 similar trai bike to TTR?, i read in the ttr250 forum where they say about 2 idlers for the starter located in the left cover and when you turn off the engine, the noise produced there is absorbed by the sprag cluch and this idlers. i don't know if this issue on the starter's are solved in the newer models from 2000 to 2006

I dont think my KLX makes the noise, though the TTR225 makes a slight sound. Its usually caused by the vacuum being released on a no fire when the cylinder decompresses from the exhaust valve opening.

At least if we're talking about the same sound....

Very interesting to know that, anyone know if this happens on the XR 250 similar trai bike to TTR?, i read in the ttr250 forum where they say about 2 idlers for the starter located in the left cover and when you turn off the engine, the noise produced there is absorbed by the sprag cluch and this idlers. i don't know if this issue on the starter's are solved in the newer models from 2000 to 2006

The XR (KLX for that matter too) don't have an e-start sprag clutch to deal with therefore the do not make that sound ?

The XR (KLX for that matter too) don't have an e-start sprag clutch to deal with therefore the do not make that sound

? , you're right, i'm very stupid :applause: i forgot that!!!, today, i noticed the noise starting the bike with the kickstart, and when the bike didn't started, it sounded weird too :applause: , well, i just wantyed to tell that, with the kickstart, it sounds anyway

cheers