Sign in to follow this  

What gears are recommended?

I plan on mostly dualsporting with my DRZ-400E, and curious what gearing (front and/or rear) changes I should make. Will probably be 80-90% offroad, 10-20% on.

I would stay with the 14/47 for that much off-road. I changed my S to that gearing and it works much better in the dirt.

I'm fairly certain it has stock gears (I know the rear is 47). Rear tire is currently a 120/90/18

Just feels to be straining on the highway with the current gears.

The S comes with 15/45 on it. You will loose a little bottom end off road but it may feel better on the highway for you...

I have an S and mostly ride off road. I left the stock gearing with with all the mods, exhaust, 3x3, FCR (maybe if I ever get it jetted right), it is fine. A little hairy some times in deep mud or deep water.....

If you want a compromise between the E and the S, put a 15 on the front. It gives you a bit more high end on the highway, and a bit loss low end in the dirt. The DRZ runs fine at high revs and running the 14/47 at 65mph won't hurt it. If you want to go 70 for longer periods of time, stick on the 15, but you will loose the low speed control a bit.

For your purposes 14/47 is perfect. My S will easily run up to 90+ indicated with that gearing and not hit the limiter. If I were strictly street or supermoto I would probably run 15/47, that lets you cruise 65-75 very comfortably. If I was out west and had wide open trails I would probably use that gearing as well. However here in Illinois 14/47 is sometimes to tall.

you could always try the 15 and see what you think, but unless you are running really wide open trails or all desert riding then stick with the 14/47

I'm fairly certain it has stock gears (I know the rear is 47). Rear tire is currently a 120/90/18

Just feels to be straining on the highway with the current gears.

15/47 does well as a dual sport gear. 14/47 for more of a dirt oriented set up and then you have the stock S gearing, 15/44.

I run a Terra flex that is a 150/90 so the tire itself is taller. With that tire I run a 14/47 set up and do fine on the highway. With a stock size tire I would run 15/47 to retain low end grunt for off road and reduce the buzz on the highway. Best of both worlds :thumbsup:

Stick with 14/47.

Unless you do a lot of highway riding, there's no reason to go any higher.

If you do go higher, it will kill your technical trail riding ability.