Sign in to follow this  

RM250 coolant and tranny fluid mxing??

My Tranny fluid is being mixed with coolant and I was wondering if the base gasket could be the cause of it. I know it is mixing because it is coming from the crankcase drain line. I rode the bike earlier today and this bike has an awesome powerband and runs great for a 1985 model

i had the same problem with my yz. the top o-ring on the head was leaking on mine

How would transmission fluid get in to your coolant through the head gasket? There is no transmission fluid anywhere near the head.

Your problem likely lies in the waterpump seal. The seal is bad so coolant is leaking past it, getting into the tranny oil.

A couple of weeks ago I fixed the same problem on my '01 250. I was changing the Bel Ray Gear Saver tranny oil every ride and it looked like a strawberry milkshake. And the radiator was always low.

I changed the seal and the both gaskets while I was there, now the oil still looks great after 100 miles of riding.

Great to know all it is, is a freakin seal, i just toasted the topend last ride the water pump went out and overheated and melted the rings to the piston so that i have now compression

Great to know all it is, is a freakin seal, i just toasted the topend last ride the water pump went out and overheated and melted the rings to the piston so that i have now compression

You kept riding it with coolant and trans oil mixing?

i didnt ride far man i just wanted to see want the bike had... i bought it with this problem.. it not like it is pouring in to the crankcase it is a small leak

Does anyone know where i can order a piston and ring kit online for cheap??

Try here at the TT store, you have to look up your part numbers in the catalog, then put them into the price finder in the upper right hand corner to get the TT store price. If you find them elsewhere cheaper, TT will beat that price.

TT doesnt offer anything for my bike because of its age. I read that they have discontinued pistons for 1985 models

my 92 rm125 is doing the same thing my best bet is your base gaskets shot or u have a cracked case