Sorry to ask but....

I just changed the oil on my new 07 DRZ yesterday with 150 miles on it. As I was riding today and doing some quick revs high into the rev range the bike has started to give off a twangy resonation until I shift or let off the throttle?!? I did a search and came up with a number of different types of noise but this has me concerned. I am used to inline 4 crotch rockets and I know the DRZ is a lot noisier than my usual type of engine. But this sound seems that something is about to blow apart when high in the rev range. Is this a normal type of sound? I currently have the 3x3 mod with a DJ jet kit, White Bros. Skid plate and MSR rad guards, all of which were on the day before the oil change but I did not hear this sound. I took it to the mechanic and he checked all fluid levels and looked it over and told me to ride it until it worsens then bring it back in. The noise doesnt happen unless you are riding it and reving it high and hard it doesn't do it. Seems to only do it when riding not while reving at a stand still.

If anyone has any info please help my frazzled mind with what I should do.

Went through and checked all the bolts to muffler, sub frame, foot pegs, clutch and front brake handles and adjustments, rebolted the skid plate made sure it was very tight, checke the rad guards to make sure they were tight as well. Checked chain for slack and it is good. I can't find anything loose. I sounds like the valves or something in the engine about ready to blow with a vibrating sound similar to aluminum resonation but only at high speed revs and quick shifting? If I stay in putt putt mode and baby it the sound never appears but as soon as you grab a fistful of throttle and open it up the crazy sound comes out.

Only when riding high and hard? You might be slipping the clutch plates at high RPMs. Don't know how to check this without removing the clutch plates and looking at them. You didn't say which type of oil you put in. Not all oils are compatible with wet type clutches. ?

My money is on the airbox resonating. Seems like they all do this. It sounds like something is catastrophically wrong with the engine when it hits.

I had a BMW 325 that made this same noise at a certain rpm range. I traced it back to the airbox, put the factory airbaffle back on and it went away completely.

I think cars, in general, have more engineering effort put into making them less noisy. My guess is a noisy intake on a bike isn't much of a concern for the engineers.

Again, just my $0.02

Gabe

I will drop the skid plate tomorrow and take it for a spin and let you know what happens.

As for the air box idea I guess that could be it. It does sound catastrophic when the sound happens. I'm hoping its nothing out of the ordinary and just a "DRZ" noise ? I will keep troubleshooting but I'm new to the 4 stroke motor and it is very different sounding.

Do you have a MCCT(manuel cam chain tensioner)? These motors will drive you crazy if you worry about every sound you here. You just have to get the bike set up the best that you can & ride the hell out of it. Iim still having trouble ignoring engine sounds after 1300 miles mostly off road.

Well I took the Skid plate off and the sound did lessen...by quited a bit actually ? It is still there but at least it doesnt sound like it's going to explode! I will keep my sounds to myself from now on unless something goes bang or starts squirting :applause:

Thank you all for your help. It still bothers me but I will get used to it. Now to find something to put in between the skid plate and the frame to deaden it a bit :ride:

My money is on the airbox resonating. Seems like they all do this. It sounds like something is catastrophically wrong with the engine when it hits.

I had a BMW 325 that made this same noise at a certain rpm range. I traced it back to the airbox, put the factory airbaffle back on and it went away completely.

I think cars, in general, have more engineering effort put into making them less noisy. My guess is a noisy intake on a bike isn't much of a concern for the engineers.

Again, just my $0.02

Gabe

I've experienced this sound and I thought I had done something horribly wrong after rejetting. I do believe, after reading posts such as this one, that it does have something to do with the airbox resonating due to the gaping hole we cut into them. Someone suggested that it was the ignition box vibrating on the air box.

When doing a shakedown run one day trying to find the "death knock" I noticed that the radiator shrouds shake like they're about to fly away when you're revving hard. I thought that might be the ping/knock sound too but holding them with my knees didn't seem to do anything. Instead of banging my head against a wall trying to figure this noise out, I'm just going to ride it until it blows up.

?