Sign in to follow this  

They kicked my @ss....... again!

OMG! We rode from 9:30am until 6:00pm. Did a total of 45 miles of some of the nasties, rockiest, rootiest, loose powder dirt, pristine single track Tahoe has to offer.

One spot looked like fairy land. I kept looking for gnomes.

I had the chance to hit the 3 man trail, did Bucks Meadow, rode all day & didn't see one other rider. The stagging area was packed. Oldedude was there with a whole bunch of Polka Dots in another group.

We did Silver Lake & some "fantastic Granite hillclimbs" the lead to "Nowhere Land"

I used a few of MojoRooster ideas to improve my riding and it really paid off. Momentum, Momentum, Momentum, don't stop for nuthin! Dave Wood's class came in real handy today too. Rear back on the seat when going downhill, when to use the back brake, fall line, etc.

I passed a few of my partners who were riding 525's & 540's on the hills. I'm getting it! :ride:I love hillclimbs! There is a strict method for riding that 2-stroke, everytime, don't waver or you'll be hating life. I was on it with correct jetting! That bike will fly!

All in all a fantastic day! :thumbsup: Thanks Shady for turning me on to this!

OMG! We rode from 9:30am until 6:00pm. Did a total of 45 miles of some of the nasties, rockiest, rootiest, loose powder dirt, pristine single track Tahoe has to offer.

One spot looked like fairy land. I kept looking for gnomes.

I had the chance to hit the 3 man trail, did Bucks Meadow, rode all day & didn't see one other rider. The stagging area was packed. Oldedude was there with a whole bunch of Polka Dots in another group.

We did Silver Lake & some "fantastic Granite hillclimbs" the lead to "Nowhere Land"

I used a few of MojoRooster ideas to improve my riding and it really paid off. Momentum, Momentum, Momentum, don't stop for nuthin! Dave Wood's class came in real handy today too. Rear back on the seat when going downhill, when to use the back brake, fall line, etc.

I passed a few of my partners who were riding 525's & 540's on the hills. I'm getting it! :ride:I love hillclimbs! There is a strict method for riding that 2-stroke, everytime, don't waver or you'll be hating life. I was on it with correct jetting! That bike will fly!

All in all a fantastic day! :thumbsup: Thanks Shady for turning me on to this!

I Will Bust Your Balls When I get Back, Slyco, Trail 5 be there.

RJ

Right on! Wish I could've been there this time, but I left you in the competent hands of Shady and OD. :ride::thumbsup:

So did you stage at Silver Fork and go up 3 man trail? Pretty cool huh?

:thumbsup: Bushwacker was our guide. He took very good care of us. We met for breakfast at The Strawberry Inn. (the hash browns suck! :applause: ) His rides liken to Survivor Man.

There was 1 very funny story. 'Bout 1/2 through the ride we all stop & take a break. Then Bushy says to me, "Shall we head back to the trucks? Are you ready to call it quits?" For those who don't know me................... I love punishment, I don't get to ride too often, so those days I do................ I like to ride all day. I said, "NO!" of course, "Let's Ride!" :applause: Then 2 of the other guys pipe up,"What'd you say?, are you sure you wanna keep riding?" They all wanted to quit but couldn't let the slowest rider best them. :applause:

We drove by the Silver Lake Campground, Horseshoe Campground, and a few more campgrounds I can't remember.

We hit everything in the opposite direction from your ride SLR. We did do 3 man trail up & down though. :applause: A majority of the day was like that, rock gardens, bump & grind, going 1 mph.

Trail 5 will be a relaxing vacation RJ. We're gonna do the WHOLE thing, The Mexican Whose House, everything. :ride:

isnt it great when it starts to click....................slow is ok as long as you keep movin, dont fall much, dont get hurt or break the bike and you are havin fun.....................

Oh,

I finally met someone who's more prepaired than me. Somebody who carries everything you might need on the trail.

One fella's camelbak broke, leaked an entire bag of water early in the ride. Bushwacker had a filtration system to purify the creek & fill his camelbak up.

One guy snaped a brake lever (foot lever, for the back brake) clean off in those rock gardens, da' man had an EXTRA break lever to fit his bike. A different model bike than his own. Water proof matches, hoses, a complete socket set, 3 or 4 different sets of plyers.

Now I do have the Rino GPS/Radio in my pack. We set it up to the same frequency. He had 3 total himself. 1 for him, and 2 extra's for partners. :ride: I thought I was the best guy to get lost with out on the trail................... NOT. HE is the best guy to get lost with! :thumbsup:

Foxhole? Foxhole? Johnny & Bushy and I'm on vacation in that Foxhole! :applause:

Okay, I know Slyko was up there Saturday because I saw him at the staging area. I'm not sure I buy into this whole story though, I want proof, WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!

Really it sounds like a great ride. 45 miles in that terrain can be like riding a full 90+ mile enduro at some other places. So did you get to cruise through that big meadow above 3-Man trail? Did you get up 3-Man without any help? SLR and Shady both made it on their own, but me and PeakRider both needed a little help at one spot. Did the bike make it through in one piece? There are definitely some pipe smashers up there if you're on a 2-smoke. :thumbsup:

My pictures sucked!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/slyko/Strawberry08-1.jpg

and

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/slyko/Strawberry08-2.jpg

And I did have to ask for help twice. 1st time it was so loose All I did was spin that tire. At 265 lbs all I was doing was wearing myself out. There was no way I could keep up the momentum. This was after a HUGE hill. I need a pat on my back that I made it that far! :thumbsup:

2nd time I came up to a huge rock wall & had to blast the throttle to get over it. It was huge and I was tired, like an idiot I asked for someone to ride it over for me. Mistake. He looped it! I could've done that! Luckily I have Rad Guards installed or my day would have been cut short. :applause:

I learned my lesson. Next time.......... I DO IT! You'll just have to wait until I catch my breath.................. again! :applause:

We did the 3 man type trail 90% of the day. Bushwacker LIKES those kinds of rides!? :ride: It was very similiar to the back way to the Elkins swimming hole. That kind of riding. :applause:

We did the Meadow early in the day. At the end of the day we rode next to the creek on this forgotten single track. Gnomes and Leprechauns were everywhere. I felt like Shrek. :applause:

............................. 2nd time I came up to a huge rock wall & had to blast the throttle to get over it. It was huge and I was tired, like an idiot I asked for someone to ride it over for me. Mistake. He looped it! I could've done that! Luckily I have Rad Guards installed or my day would have been cut short. :applause:

I learned my lesson. Next time.......... I DO IT! You'll just have to wait until I catch my breath.................. again! :ride:

:applause: I didn't mean help as in riding your bike for you, I was just thinking help like give me a little push so I can get over this one part. Me and PeakRider both got stuck at a place where we got the front wheel up over a first step-up, but then it was against the bottom of another step-up right when the rear wheel came up against the first one. Neither one of us could get the momentum necessary to pop up over this spot, and it really didn't look as bad as some of the stuff we had already done, so SLR helped out with a little lift and push on the back end. :applause:

That terrain is hard on bikes though. I put a couple of small dents in the pipe on the smoker up at Strawberry, and bent one of the rad guards on the thumper pretty good on the Silver Lake ride. Strangely enough I got through 3-Man trail with no damage at all, and the places I have banged up the bikes wasn't that tough, there's just no give in that granite up there. :thumbsup:

Agreed.

I enjoyed myself immensely. My pipe was loose after all the banging I did. It was harder on ME than it was on my bike. I only had 3 minor crashes early in the day. Simple front end wash outs at 3 mph. I did land on my camera once.

Not to brag........... but.......... at the end of the day, I was really enjoying myself. I had my feet under me if you know what I mean. That bike flys! I couldn't touch those guys in the rock gardens, but in the wide open hillclimbs................ look out!

Oh, and by the way.............. my rear tire is WASTED! It's almost smooth. :thumbsup: One of the guys had a trials tire on his 540. It never spun. He just lugged it on up. I would have to scream my bike, he would putt putt. :ride:

:ride:I love hillclimbs! !

You should try carnegei. That is the best hillclimbing place you can imagine. 2500 acres of golden hills filled with ruts and whoops :thumbsup:

Glad you had a good time Scott I was wondering during the ride but it looks like it was just that I didn't know you well enough to tell. I've taken plenty of riders where I took you that won't ever come back so I stay prepared for people who just don't like that kind of stuff.

I didn't realize you had met OldDude at the staging area, next time introduce me.

'Bout 1/2 through the ride we all stop & take a break. Then Bushy says to me, "Shall we head back to the trucks? Are you ready to call it quits?" They all wanted to quit but couldn't let the slowest rider best them.
Sorry to dissappoint you Super but I assure you this was not the case. We got there to the turnoff and while we were waiting for you I told the others that I was going to offer you a chance to cut the ride off there and head back thinking you might be too tired. They looked at me in shock and said your're kidding we don't want to turn around now! I said I'd still make the offer so at that point I think we were all in agreement that we all wanted to keep on going. Hell I wanted to go up the Manzanita Maze but that didn't seem like a majority desire. Trust me I'm not one to head back early...
It was huge and I was tired, like an idiot I asked for someone to ride it over for me. Mistake. He looped it!
I'm the one who felt like an idiot, I'm very sorry about that I'll be happy to buy you a new guard or radiator if something is damaged. I've rode up that section a hundred times (well maybe 20 times) and feel very confident with it but your bike is so damn tall for me I was like a kid on his first time on a full size bicycle, my feet couldn't even touch the ground so when I hit your seat I was just dangling there in the air. Good thing is I think I got it on video, I haven't checked my camera yet but I'll let you know. I think you're right next time we'll just wait for you, I have plenty of patience.

I hope Ross took some pictures I only got one of SuperSlyko off of his bike and another of the cool snake we hooked up with. One video of Jim coming down the switchback and I haven't looked at my helmet cam yet.

CIMG4958.JPG

CIMG4962.JPG

Jim coming down switchback video

Can't wait to ride with you again...

Sorry to dissappoint you Super but I assure you this was not the case. We got there to the turnoff and while we were waiting for you I told the others that I was going to offer you a chance to cut the ride off there and head back thinking you might be too tired. They looked at me in shock and said your're kidding we don't want to turn around now! I said I'd still make the offer so at that point I think we were all in agreement that we all wanted to keep on going ............

:applause::applause::applause::ride::applause: Now you know what it's like to ride with SuperFlako. You listen to him whine all day about how tired and out of shape he is so you offer to take it easy on him, but no, he won't quit for anything. If you do cut it short or do some easier stuff so maybe he can keep up for a while he whines about that too. :ride:

You're better off just torturing the guy, if you take it easy on him you'll never hear the end of it. You just have to be patient, wait for him a lot, and hope he doesn't decide to go off on his own, or maybe fly off a cliff again. :thumbsup:

Like I said the first time I met him, "That Slyko guy is kinda high maintenance." :ride:

Bushwacker!

That bike was made to crash! It is kinda tall. Some folks thought it was a Moon Buggy! I have every guard know to man. I've been off cliffs with that thing and it still looks like new. I've been over the bars many times............... but I've never looped it! :applause:

I'm just glad I got to ride that pristine spot again! We rode trails I've never seen or could ever find again. That was awesome! Just tell me the next time you're going, I'm there! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I did a lot of crying that day eh!? Oldedood's just pissed somebody rode longer than 12:00 noon. :applause:

In his younger years

but I've never looped it!
You've probably never rode a bike where you had both feet 4 inches off the ground either :applause:
In his younger years
I think I saw him in concert one time. :thumbsup:

You've probably never rode a bike where you had both feet 4 inches off the ground either :applause:

:thumbsup:

I can Second that, I would love to be able to flat foot both feet on my Bike. :applause::applause:

I'm like 5'7" and SuperSlyko is like 9'11" it was probably the funniest thing to see me trying to ride his bike with both feet completely off the ground!