Sign in to follow this  

external tanks for 220 miles?

Does anyone know who makes external tanks in sizes big enough to let me do a 220 mile ride in central idaho mountains without having to meet someone with gas? I have an oversize radiator off a racing bike for extra cooling capicity on my '06 525EXC, so can't fit a larger main tank without putting on a standard size radiator. Even the larger main won't get me the distance I'm looking for. Probably need side mounts on both sides of back of bike. Looking at several rides going 120+ miles between Idaho and Montana. Also looking for suggestions for a small rear rack of some kind. Thanks.

promo02.jpg

sumthin like that?

those are made by a french company by the name of "Meca System Racing", they make dakar race bikes

heres a link to their site: http://www.mecasystem.fr/

and heres the same site but translated by google from french to english:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.mecasystem.fr/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=4&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmeca%2Bsystem%2Bktm%26hl%3Den%26hs%3DFls%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official_s%26sa%3DG

KR62.jpg

KR63.jpg

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.mecasystem.fr/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=4&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmeca%2Bsystem%2Bktm%26hl%3Den%26hs%3DFls%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official_s%26sa%3DG

theres the link to the price list and stuff, i think it might be very expensive, but i have no idea what kind of currency that is, nor do i know the value of the currency, if your interested, then you might be in for a little research.

KR62.jpg

Those are pretty cool, but having ridden the Idaho mountains I don't think an expensive down pipe (necessary with those twin rally tanks) will survive very long. And those beautiful alloy tanks will look like smashed pop cans the first time you lay the bike down on a rocky uphill. They will also show every scrape and rock strike.

The Baja Designs 1.1 gallon side tank is pretty effective and very rugged.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I strongly recommend you stay with one tank and pack soft saddle bags and a small rear rack. Forget the rear tanks they stress the rear subframe too much and get in the way of hauling saddlebags. They have 25 litre ( 6 gallon) tanks for our bikes which will get you 200 miles of back road adventuring! :thumbsup: Put the stock radiators back on for running the large tank. :ride: You will need all of the 6 gallons to make 220 miles. Obviously you wont be riding 220 miles of tough switchback Idaho mule track (I go out there every year for the toughest riding in the USA)! The sub frames dont like the extra weight of bags, rack and fuel so if you want to put a lot of weight in bags and a rack for overnight trips you will be happier with a large main tank. You can always switch back for normally riding with the stock tank. :applause:

01-100-0910-0_I_01.JPG

Manufacturer's like Acerbis in Europe and Barnes/Aqualine in Australia make them for the KTM 525's

KTM parts has them but TT will not let me link it since they are a competitor. Call them at (866) 663-4817 and ask for their part number 07010144 lists for $250. excuseme:

I was going to mention the 6 gallon tank also. Have seen them. They are absulutely huge. I would be amazed if you couldnt get at least 200 miles out of one of those.

I strongly recommend you stay with one tank and pack soft saddle bags and a small rear rack. Forget the rear tanks they stress the rear subframe too much and get in the way of hauling saddlebags.

A 1.1 gallon BD tank doesn't affect using saddlebags, and it places the extra fuel low and back away from the main tank. I find mine to be a great accessory - I can't detect any changes in the handling. The only real downside is that if you forget and open both petcocks together, you can drain the main tank partially into the ground.

I plan to go a little bigger than stock on the front tank, but NO way would I ride the Idaho mountains with 6 gallons (36 pounds) of sloshing weight that high up on my EXC.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Thanks for all the input. I've pretty much decided to yank the oversized radiator and use a fan, put on a larger 14 or 15 liter main, and get the ProMoto rack to carry any additional fuel I might need. Anyone know where to buy the ProMoto rack discounted? They are REAL proud ($$$) of the KTM version! Will try the larger tank and see if spending the additional for a BD rear tank is needed. Special thanks to John in Spokane for the detailed info about the BD tank install on your web site. It was a big help. I'm hoping my SDG seat will work with a larger tank. Wrote and asked Aqualine, but no response. Time to see if KTM knows. Don't really want to buy or break in more seats than I have to.

:thumbsup: I keep getting a headache for some reason over this decision

I know the guy who owns Baja Designs has ridden with side tanks for years. He actually test the stuff he sells. Call or email them and I bet they will tell you what options would work best for what you want to do.