Sign in to follow this  

Broke Bike Mountain

Well...my master link broke about a half mile into the Wright Meadows Trail (#80) today up at Gifford Pinchot. I was taking it fairly easy on the ascent out of the Lewis River valley and "twang-clunk-rev" and I slowed to a stop. I looked down to see if the chain came off and could see pure synthetic spurting out over my shift lever. Ouch...Kill switch...end of loop for me. :ride:

Just in case I must have it welded, I am interested in your suggestions on a shop that can handle such a job. Please post business names and or contact information please. :thumbsup:

Ouch! That sucks, what kind of bike?

03 WR250F

Looks like the master link chunked out some casing and a bolt as it went around for the last time. The hole is not big, but I haven't got a good looksee yet.

Not good! Hope it wasn't the first loop of the day.

I've had mixed results with having aluminum cases welded from thix exact injury. Both times were on mid 80's Honda 2-stokes and one time the welder was able to repair without leaks and one time he was not. The problem with the one time he was able to repair it was my shift shaft was bent and I ended up breaking the weld getting it out once I split the cases. I'm 0 for 2 in that department.

I'm 1 for 1 on completely overhauling late model Yamaha 4-stroke motors though. Lets hope its not required, but I can certainly help you in case replacement.

Not good! Hope it wasn't the first loop of the day.

It was.

But, I coulda been on the upslope to Juniper Peak...a half mile coasting downhill to the road was not such a bad way to end the ordeal.

Here's what it looks like:

holie_case_04.JPG

Wow, that case is thin there. It's hard to tell size but the hole doesn't look too big. A plug and some JB weld? Ouch! Time for some expert TT opinions in the WR forum.

Wow, that case is thin there. It's hard to tell size but the hole doesn't look too big. A plug and some JB weld? Ouch! Time for some expert TT opinions in the WR forum.

This image may be better (looks like you can see a seal in there):

holie_case_03.JPG

Did you have a case saver on the bike? Just curious, if you did, then how well do they work, my new 2006 KLX 250S Dual Sport bike has one, and if you didn't have one, then I have to ask.....WHY NOT??

The blue blur on the left is the case saver. I think the master link clip broke letting the master link come partially out then it hit the side of the case behind the CS sproket.

: (

wow, thats a bummer. can you take another pic from farther back?

i'll look at my dads in the mornin to see where you chunked it.

dont use jb weld unless you have to. get it done properly. as for welding, try to find a shop around you that does tig welding. then take the case off (that may be a huge job) and clean it extremely well (aluminum only welds nicely when its REALY clean, then drill and re-tap the threads for the bolt if needed.

***if you weld it clean it!! get ALL the oil off it and be sure its spotless***(the welder will thank you

if the hole is really small and it isnt a very structural area, then you could jb it.

Did you have a case saver on the bike? Just curious, if you did, then how well do they work, my new 2006 KLX 250S Dual Sport bike has one, and if you didn't have one, then I have to ask.....WHY NOT??

Case saver did it's job (stopping forward whipping of the chain). Thank you Rooster Performance!

Now if they only made a case saver for inside the CS sprocket.

Yep, the case saver only protects on a derailment or a break. If the master link clip comes off or wears out from rubbing on the chain guide and breaks allowing the master link to work it's way out then this is the result.

Not that it does you any good now but some guys install the master link with the clip on the inside just to prevent a busted case. I don't personally, but some do.

wow, thats a bummer. can you take another pic from farther back?

i'll look at my dads in the mornin to see where you chunked it.

Can you take a pic of your dad's case?

Here's a shot from farther back:

holie_case_05.JPG

drill and re-tap the threads for the bolt if needed.

The more I think about it, the more I am inclined to say there was no bolt there...just a half-cylinder protrusion...

I think it's going to have to be JB as splitting the cases will cost many pesos.

The blue blur on the left is the case saver. I think the master link clip broke letting the master link come partially out then it hit the side of the case behind the CS sproket.

: (

George, I think you hit the nail on the head. After seeing this, I think I will put the retainer and clip of my master link on the "inside" of my chain. It may make it harder to reach, but if the link ever came apart, this wouldnt happen. As for the picture, its hard for me to make it out, but it appears the cap from an allen or hex cap screw was torn off? If thats the case, I dont see how he can get it out unless he removes the cover itself. And if this is the LH side of the crankcase and not part of the ignition/lighting cover, he is in for a big job. As for the case, JB weld works great. In fact, I have a tube of "JB QUICK" (actually 2 tubes, resin and hardner) in my hydration pack. The "quick" sets up in 5 minutes. But for long life repair, get the slow drying stuff.

Can you take a pic of your dad's case?

Here's a shot from farther back:

holie_case_05.JPG

FlEYEingDubyah, if thats not a broken cap screw, just clean it up with a dremel, spray the area down with brake cleaner. Brake cleaner will remove all oil residue and drys extrememly quick, (careful, its extremely flammable) then mix up some "JB" weld (dont use the quick dry, get slow dry. Quick would be better suited for trailside repairs...) and and pack it into the hole, and smooth it/shape it and let it dry. If there is a cap screw/bolt head sheared off, you might be in a little more of a pickle. But then again, sometimes a missing bolt cap isnt the end of the world, and leave the old bolt in place, and do the JB thing anyway right over the top. At this rate, you should be able to ride over the labor day wekend!

:thumbsup:

FlEYEingDubyah, if thats not a broken cap screw... At this rate, you should be able to ride over the labor day wekend!

Sorry for the delay in responding, I borrowed a bike and went to Diamond Mill today to chase goats off the peaks. :ride:

Well, I don't think there was a bolt. Round-ish hole made me think that initially. So I will be packing it with JB tomorrow...might be ready for a night ride Thursday night! :thumbsup:

Wow, that case is thin there.

It is and i found the right guy to weld it (for $20). His name is Leonardo DaVinci..or Jerry Hill...I'm kind of confused who, but look at his work:

fixed_case_01.JPG

It is and i found the right guy to weld it (for $20). His name is Leonardo DaVinci..or Jerry Hill...I'm kind of confused who, but look at his work:

fixed_case_01.JPG

Wow and just like that you're back in bidnezzzz. Cool. :thumbsup: