Sign in to follow this  

Dead KX125

I have a 98 KX 125. I went out riding the hills in Beaumont, California and the thing bogged and died. I loaded it up and got an estimate on what needed to be done. I went into shock when he told me i needed top end, bottom end, and a crank. I freaked when I realized it was going to cost me 1000+ :applause: !!!! I had just bought this bike as this was my first ride on it. I know realize that I was ripped off when the ad said "Great condition" :ride: Is this a good estimate? Im new to MX, i dont know if this is common in '98 Kawi 2-strokes... thanks for the help!!

ride hard! :thumbsup:

OUCH! Sorry to hear of your troubles. Buying a used bike is sometimes like that.

IF all that is wrong with it and it needs a new cylinder, then $1,000 sounds about right.

These are ROUGH guesstimates.

normal cost of OEM rings, piston, etc. of normal top end maintenance = around $125 or so

cylinder is around $400 or so.

crankshaft is around $250 or so.

crankshaft bearings and seals would need to be replaced also...etc.

consider two or three hours labor added in to make it $1,000

If i where you get at least 1 more guy to look at it before you jump on the first repair, does it feel like you have compression when u try to start it, what made him think you needed all that done? could be just a carb or spark issue. Since your new to the sport find others that ride Dirt and they will guide you. learn your bike. good luck with it.

please don't get ripped off.there is no way to determine all of that work without tearing the motor apart.put a plug in it and go riding some more.sounds like you are a new rider and probably loaded it up and fouled a plug.actually buy a couple of plugs and take them on your person when you ride.

thanks guys! i thought it was just the fouled plug or some minor thing...so I took the carb apart a little and cleaned it out. It started up and ran fine for a little while and died. There wasnt much compression either. After that it wouldnt start after a good 20 kicks. as inexperienced as I am...i think there is a lot $$$ to be spent :ride::applause: as far as the 1000+ goes, that seems a little far fetched, but i have no way of saying for sure. thanks for all the help. hopefully ill atleast figure out what all is REALLY wrong before I lay down that much cash :thumbsup: atleast i learned buying used may not be the smartest thing :applause: haha

i bought a 02 kx125 this spring and it ran fine till last sunday when i was takin a turn and it just bogged down. i tore the motor down and the piston and ring were fried, i agree that you should get at least one more person to look at it b4 u start spending that much money.

even a fresh 125 does not feel like it had alot of compression at the kick starter. I can actaully start my 04 with my HAND! Did it on accident once.

get a manual, a torque wrench and change the top end yourself. If you are going to ride 125s you need to know how to do this. I bet that 1000 bucks was over half labor. You can do anything shy of splitting the cases all by yourself and if the right tools you can do that as well.

Oh yeah, change the spark plug and make sure you have fresh gas.