Sign in to follow this  

weight offroad

I'm considering the drz400s as my next machine coming off of a trx450r sport quad and have a few questions i am concerned with.

i want a dual purpose bike that can get me around on the roads around town, handle the occasional 60mph highway run, but also take me off road everywhere i ride my quad. i am planning on using the bike strictly off road at first to get comfortable on it and give some time for msf course and other necessary street riding things.

compared to more dirt worthy but plate-able bikes like the wr450,450/525exc,crf450x,etc the drz's reliability and ability to last for awhile keeps me interested in it.

The one thing that worries me about the drz is the weight compared to the other bikes. i am 6'1 only 150 pounds with full gear, and the drz is only about 50 pounds lighter than my 4 wheeler! Like i said, i will be using it off road only before i feel comfortable enough to take it on the street, and i don't want to regret getting a drz over a plated dbike due to how heavy it is. i do allot of open farm trail, occasional sand pits, occasional hill climbs and small jumps, some tight wooded trails, and whatever else i plan on finding.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has any opinions or statements on how the weight of the drz affects their off road riding compared to the racier but more maintenance needed bikes. If you were in my position, would you go with the drz even with my light weight, or is it better off to find a lighter plated dirt bike. if i removed all of the useless junk, replaced the street lighting with low profile stuff, and did some other minor weight saving mods, could i get it feeling any better?

dual sports are very rare around here so i cant test ride one, but if riding a bike twice the weight of me offroad is going to be a hassle, i just dont know if its a smart choice. if you guys think i could get away with riding the drz, id love to hear it. the fact that i could ride the highway, and even get a set of motard wheels and commute/ride with streetbike buds without worrying much about the motor would be great.

thanks

My 2 cents

Unless you really need a MX bike for your offroad go DRZ. If it is easy to plate an offroad bike in your area go with an E. If not get an S and build it up.

I have moved and expect to move a couple more times in the future so I went S. It is legal everywhere period. If need be I can put the original legal bits on and there is no possible arguement even in say Cali.

The DRZ's are nice solid bikes with good reliability. There are a couple known issues, and when taken care of, the other lurking issues are still not too bad. If you decide to build up the engine the couple lurking issues (valves) are easy to fix.

It is not an MX bike. But I have never seen an MX bike with this kind of mileage either. Certainly not without major work being done at least once.

I totally agree with Plane Dr.

it's a great bike! read up in some mags. they pic the drz over the ktm's. so take that you orange jerks!

it's no mx bike but its so fun on the streets. you'll see.

thanks for the info guys, very helpful. getting a bike plated here is supposidly near impossible, so if i wanted to go that route, i would wait and find one already plated which is a big hassle.

ive seen a bunch of riding spots along side of the highway that i would love to explore so the ability to cruise at 60 without wringing out a race motor is what will probably keep me wanting the drz.

i think with a bunch of mods i could get the drz into a offroad ready, road rideable, good looking bike. d.o.t. knobbies,full pipe,3x3,rejet,low profile blinkers and taillight,fat bars, all useless stuff removed,etc

Hi, I'm coming at you from a little different place,.I ride the 'k' model drz 400 dirt only , I can tell you that this is most likely the 'lightest' of the drzs [no battery,starter,ect,.] just a 4 stroke dirt bike,.I wont fib and say it's a flick able fire breathing trail beast,but what it is is an almost unstoppable trail bike,.weight is good for traction,if I could stay on the back of this thing it would go up a tree! after addressing some of the common faults the bike is near bullet proof. there is a reason the drz forum is the largest,.the bike can damn near do it all,..torque is king on the trails,.not rpms,.but with the drz you will not want for either!! :thumbsup:

I bought a 2006 DRZ400S with the same dual purpose in mind and I have not been disappointed. IMO there are two must-do modifications for off-road use: (1) replace tires with DOT knobbies, and (2) replace 15t front socket with 14t. Anything else is optional as far as I can see. :thumbsup:

I'll agree with everyone else here....I have a 18yr MX background and the DRZ400s is my first street bike. It's a blast on the trail and the road. Even tottal stock it has a nice smooth power deliver and good mid throttle roll-on which is important for trail riding. you can jump it just as you jump any other bike, but set up your suspension first, you can probaly get away with stock springs, but me, at 240lbs needs heavier rate. the bike is valved soft to start with though so it has a more compliant, controlled on-road ride. The brakes are good, but plane doc knows how to put a RM rear caliper/rotor on the bike and that helps get better braking performance, as would going to wave rotors and a biger front rotor. um, what eles can I ramble on about.....the stock trailwings are preatty good tires despite what everyone says....get the bike in the dirt, just power slide it everywhere and you wont have many issues....loose the ruber foot peg isolators, you pick up some vibration but get better grip...add a DRC edge taillight and turnsignals for a super clean look on the back of the bike...get a FCR 39 carb, bigger tank, DOT knobbies then exhaust and 3x3/re-jet, in that order.