Sign in to follow this  

Problem.some advice on carbs/jetting. 05 DR650

Hi Team.

I have the above bike. Full Staintune exhaust, airbox/ jetting. (someone else did the jetting for me and it was spot on until recently.)

Nothing has been changed on the bike recently at all. But for no apparent reason, if I idle for more than, say, 1-2 minutes (at traffic lights) when I go to accelerate, there is a horrible flat-spot right off idle. If I stop for less than this time, it pulls away as normal, but 1 minute without touching the throttle (when warm) is enough to make it stall when pulling away if I don't "blip" the throttle first.

Seems to me that this will probably be an easy fix, but strange that it just started doing it for no reason I can see after running great.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Josh (Sydney)

Start with the usual suspects. check to make sure that the choke is not partially on. There is a plastic nut that holds the cable in place on the carb. That broke on my bike, and even though the choke lever was in the off position it wasn't pulling the cable into the off position. Is it a bad gas problem. My DR is horribly sensitive to ethanol, anything over 10% gives stumbling and flat spots. Next clean the air filter. Lastly, I would check the spark plugs. If the bike is running really rich it could be fouling the plugs at idle, and take a little heat to clear them. hope this gives you a starting place. :thumbsup:

I had the same problem when I was fine tuning my air screw "not the idle screw". Hopefully you have an extended air screw. If not, like me get a short flat head. Like a precision screw driver. I had to cut mine off a little. Try turning it in 1/2 turn. If that is worse turn it out a full turn. Fine tune it from there.

This is the crap that makes me want to leave my bike with stock jetting/airbox/exhaust. I just have this sinking feeling that once I throw the jet kit in, I'll be asking for trouble and plagued with problems. It seems that EVERYBODY on this board that has installed the jet kit and cut the airbox has encountered many problems along the way. Yeah, you get big increases in performance, but eventually, your bike will run like total crap! Sounds like jetted bikes are very temperamental...like broads :thumbsup: . If the humidity is below 40%, the bike runs great, but if its overcast, it stalls at every light

2006 model fitted with a Dynojet kit, 170 main, K&N with the air box lid off, IDS2 quiet core with 12 discs, air screw out 1 turn. Eight months and 4000 hard km later not a single adjustment and every ride and idle like the last, not everyone has problems... :thumbsup:

Not sure how the dynojet kit is. But I got a factory Jet Kit. I have re jetted many carbs the DR was by far the hardest. I drilled 4 1" holes in the top of my air box. Installed 1" White Brothers Filtered Air Box Vents. Removed the snorkle. I tried every jet and every needle clip setting combo. Could not get it to run right. I guess the stock exhaust wouldn't get rid of the gases fast enough. I had to get a FMF Q2 to get it to run right. Took a while to get it just right. But the bike rips now. I guess the only good thing about the factory Jet Kit is I only lost 3mpg over stock. I now get 47mpg compaired to 50 stock.

Hey Josh,

Have you washed your air filter recently? Or maybe havent at all and its clogged with dust?

I remember my 650 having terrible flat spots off idle when i over oiled my air filter or it was clogged with dust.

If not then there is an issue in the pilot circuit, needs a clean out or fuel screw adjusted.

If you don't completely remove the side plate on the air box it will never run right with a jet kit (factory). Mine ran like a dog and I called the company and they told me to get that side panel off and I have not had a problem in 50,000 miles. Snorkel out too.

Andrew.

Hey Josh,

Have you washed your air filter recently? Or maybe havent at all and its clogged with dust?

I remember my 650 having terrible flat spots off idle when i over oiled my air filter or it was clogged with dust.

If not then there is an issue in the pilot circuit, needs a clean out or fuel screw adjusted.

Thanks Dude,

I checked the filter yesterday. Seems about perfect to me, so it's not that.

I agree it's a jetting issue. Such a pain in the as*

I have some plugs on order too. I guess at 5000klm they are about ready to be swapped-out anyway.

The real weirdness is that it only happens after idling for 60+ secs or so.. ie: I think that if I left it idling for , say, 3 minutes, then cracked the throttle hard, It would probably completely stall.

j.