Sign in to follow this  

what is a hare scramble? Can a DR650 handle one?

I was lurking on one of the other forums on TT and read of a hare scramble in my area. I am new to organized riding, it sounds interesting, but I am wondering if my 98 could stand the beating it might take. Has anyone ever done such a thing on a DR650?

Up until the 50's races like this were run on Harleys then Triumphs and Honda before there were real dirt bikes. Just go the speed that you are comfortable with. By the end of the second hour it probably won't be the bike that you are worrying about anyway. Check with the promoter to see if the terrain is extreme - deep water, log crossings, giant boulders etc. but usually not in a Hare Scrambles. Actually they were great fun but you will be sore the day after.

I'm not sure about the terrain/tracks where you live, but here in Ohio they vary dramatically as far as difficulty. I would ride a Hare Scramble with a DR650 (properly equipped)...but I wouldnt race one. It'd probably be a good idea to go and watch one first at the track you are considering.

I'm not sure about your skill level, I would recommend a good year of riding before setting a wheel on a track.

Sometimes tracks have a sportsman class which cater to beginner racers. There are lots of guys out on the track that are riding just to finish a race. There are also guys that drop out from fatigue (pace yourself). One of the most grueling things you'll ever have to do is hold on to a trophy position when you are dead tired...loaded down with mud...legs that ceased to function a half hour ago...arms ache...thirsty....and the guy behind you wants the trophy......and there is 40 min to go!!

Be curtious to faster riders coming up...just stick to a line to one side of the trail. If you dont, the leaders can (and will) be agressive in passing but for the most part, riding is very gentlemanly.

Cracker is on the mark about being sore...figure three days of recovery...legs...arms...upper back. You'll be surprised how many muscles you actually have!!

Also....be sure to hydrate with frequent stops or a Camel Back (50/50 Gatorade and ice).

I dunno if I would try and race a big heavy bike like that in a Hare Scramble. Just got back from Bull Hollow with my desert sled XR4 and it was pretty bad on her and me. The course was fast and fairly easy in some sections but there was quite a bit of what I would call "technical". Of course, I was way over geared, 4 gallon tank, etc., bla bla bla, but still the guys on the lighter smaller 2 strokes seemed to wheel through the technical stuff much much easier. This was, I believe, more of a WORCS type event and it was far different and far more technical than the Baja style riding I'm used to for sure. Still fun and learned a bunch. I am, as a result of this experience, considering a different bike. I hate to part with the XR but there comes a point when I have to accept it is what it is and move on to a more modern machine. FWIW, the big bore KTMs did pretty good and the overall fastest guy (Pro) was on a 250X I think. The two fastest guys were Eric Rhoten and Brian Bruning. Fantastic riders! I was thinking of an 07 WR450:) with an autoclutch.

I used to race HS's and enduro's frequently. I would never try it on a DR. Much to heavy and not enough ground clearance. You will fall over. Lifting the bike will take it all out of you. Most of the time there is single tracks. The racing bikes have more ground clearance. You will bottom out and get hung up. Then you will have to muscle the bike out of the rut and possibly deep mud. It is hard enough on a light bike. I would say impossible on the DR given it's weight and add 100 more pounds of mud on top of that.

Save your DR for play, riding to work and do some exploring. Use a dirt bike to race with.

I would say no. For all the reasons the others said don't do it. If they are anything like New England events, you'll have nothing left of your bike by the end. :thumbsup:

will a dr650 handle a hare scramble.. sure.. will you??? it might be (probably be) one of the worst days of your life.after getting your butt kicked by gravity, the DR, and every real dirt bike on the course..how's your ego?? LOL

I've run a couple of enduros on a DR but never a Hare scramble.

Remember HS races are on shorter courses with 100's of bikes on them...all yelling at you to get out of the way. Riding slow on a HS is not really an option. Also HS races are often run on MX tracks as part of the course....not a good place for a DR.

I'd sign up for a local entry level enduro instead and put some good knobbies on the bike at least. Or better yet try a local DS ride first.

I was lurking on one of the other forums on TT and read of a hare scramble in my area. I am new to organized riding, it sounds interesting, but I am wondering if my 98 could stand the beating it might take. Has anyone ever done such a thing on a DR650?

Your DR will probably handle the beating.

Can you take the beating, and can you take the DR through ?

A swedish enduro champion, and formely Paris Dakar racer (PG Lundmark) took his desert race kitted KTM 660 through one of the worst enduro (as in european style enduro. Example here:http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9029017171793279302&q=swedish+enduro) races here in sweden, Novemberkåsan, which is run in November on a forest course, mostly through mud and very deep mud after all the bikes has passed, and some stretches are run in coal dark night - but he admitted that he was a bit tired after that :thumbsup:

Running the DR in a hare scramble, even a fairly non technical, means that you will have a huge disadvantage, and have to be in better shape than most of the well trained riders in the pack, and have good experience of that type of riding. If you are interested in HS, I would say as the rest here - go for a better suited bike first :ride:

Or try a couple of better suited events for that type of bike (trails for instance)

/K

If you are passionate about the DR and very fit i'd say yes. I'd do it for a laugh with a couple other mates on DRs :thumbsup:

Your DR will probably handle the beating.

Can you take the beating, and can you take the DR through ?

A swedish enduro champion, and formely Paris Dakar racer (PG Lundmark) took his desert race kitted KTM 660 through one of the worst enduro (as in european style enduro. Example here:http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9029017171793279302&q=swedish+enduro) races here in sweden, Novemberkåsan, which is run in November on a forest course, mostly through mud and very deep mud after all the bikes has passed, and some stretches are run in coal dark night - but he admitted that he was a bit tired after that :thumbsup:

Running the DR in a hare scramble, even a fairly non technical, means that you will have a huge disadvantage, and have to be in better shape than most of the well trained riders in the pack, and have good experience of that type of riding. If you are interested in HS, I would say as the rest here - go for a better suited bike first :ride:

Or try a couple of better suited events for that type of bike (trails for instance)

/K

Looks alot like a New England race.