Sign in to follow this  

Letting Son Race

Just curious: My 6 yr old really wants to race. The problem is that, for some unknown reason, he really wants to race but he is a super passive rider -- not aggressive at all. He doesn't push it by any means. Even at a race, he's the type that will stop to help someone if they fall.

I'm just worried that it could do more harm than good to let him race. I have this vision of super competetive kids and parents.

Basically, I'm torn between not sheltering him from reality and the possibility of absolutely destroying his confidence too early.

I guess what I'm asking is racing at this level full of a bunch of buttheads or is it generally cool? I just don't know 'cause we've never done it.

Just curious: My 6 yr old really wants to race. The problem is that, for some unknown reason, he really wants to race but he is a super passive rider -- not aggressive at all. He doesn't push it by any means. Even at a race, he's the type that will stop to help someone if they fall.

I'm just worried that it could do more harm than good to let him race. I have this vision of super competetive kids and parents.

Basically, I'm torn between not sheltering him from reality and the possibility of absolutely destroying his confidence too early.

I guess what I'm asking is racing at this level full of a bunch of buttheads or is it generally cool? I just don't know 'cause we've never done it.

That's a tough one, because I feel where you are coming from. I haven't been to the races in years.

My guess is there are allot of people pushing their kids. I just hope the racing community hasn't become like little league baseball.

Just think about your kid and take him to a few races. If he doesn't have problems being in last place, then it means he's having fun. Plus you'll be spending quality time and making him happy.

If he stops to help some one, let him. Don't sweat it. Just tell him if he does that to make sure he stops his bike off the track, so Spaz parents won't yell at him for causing their kid to crash. We all had a good heart like that at one time. Look at most adults now, how cynical and cold hearted we are. :thumbsup:

After his first race , he will either like it, or not...He will decide..

at local races the parents arent out there yelling at there kids like u think but if u go to the bigger races then yea really competetive

at my local track, i see some parents who r really into it but at that age, i dont see too many competitive kids. im not a parent but i wouldnt worry about it. local races aren't too serious so i think u and ur kid will be fine.

That is a shame what Little League BB has turned into. The gossip, caddyness and over competitive parents have ruined the sport that kids started. I think a kid with confidence should be able to overcome these negatives and enjoy the sport. Confidence comes from parents. Congratulate him for finishing last...he DID finish after all. Work with him but NEVER push him. As soon as he starts to show resistance, lighten up and allow him to take a break or stop doing it all together. The difference between this and little league bb is that it's not a team sport. When one kid on a team fails, parents blame losses on him and it hurts the confidence and attitude of the kid. In this sport, the parent who is yelling at their kid for being in second and not first could care less that some other kid is in last place. And if someone stopped to help my kid up during a race...I would think pretty highly of that person.

I know where you are coming from. My daughters (she is 9) first race was April this year. I was really wrapped tight about her racing, I coached "pee-wee" sports for quite sometime so I have seen the "evil" competitive side of some parents and kids. I guess the couple of things that made it easier on me, 1) I had a lot of contact with the race officials before the race, 2) a really good friends niece was racing the same class as my girl. So we had a big support group with our families being at the race.

Your little guys sound a lot like my daughter, she did stop and help another rider, she got passed by 8 riders while helping the crashed kid. Last weekend we were riding on a trail and I washed out in a corner and went down, she rode up, asked..."you OK Dad???" I said "yeah" and VROOM she was off. Back at the truck, I asked her how come she didn't help dear ol'Dad??? Her reply was..." the last time I helped , I got passed by a bunch of other kids"!

So they do learn. :thumbsup: Be positive, no matter where they place, my girl came in 19th out 27 riders, and the way we all behaved after she came in you would have thought she won. At a local "super-cross" when the mini-mini's ran they let the parents out on the track with the kids, and even some parents ran the track behind their kids, I think most tracks really go all out to support the little guys, after all they are the future. :ride:

At our race, there were not any "turds" out there yelling and carrying on, BUT, I did see a whole bunch of parents yelling for not just their little racers, but all the other little racers out there. :applause: This race was a hare scramble, maybe things were more laid back at this race.... :applause: I don't know

Let him run Dad, like in the other post, "he will let you know if he likes it or not". But I have felt your anxiety...next year I'll have two running. Sorry for the long winded tale.

W.

He is only 6, so you cant really expect him to be super aggressive on a bike.

At the local MX and flat track races here in southern WI, the peewee classes are pretty laid back. The kids are just out there to have fun and most of the parents dont take it all that seriously.

Id let him try it out and just see how he does. Who knows, perhaps entering a race will awaken something inside of him and he will become aggressive or maybe he will realize that at this time racing isnt for him.

At all of the races here in Wisconsin that Ive been in, the officals and parents are really supportive of the kids and its pretty laid back. Everyone realives that they are just kids and everyone just wants to make it fun for the kids.

As a parent of a 7 yr old racer, i think that the 50 cc beginner 4-6 & the oil injected 4-6 classes are pretty calm, parents are allowed to stay on the track, some parents in the faster classes can get crazy, my son races the 60cc 6-9 class & while some fathers are out there screaming at their kids i try to encourage my kid by giving him a thumbs up & clapping :thumbsup:

After his first race , he will either like it, or not...He will decide..

I agree. Let him decide. If he really wants it and you tell him no, it will make it like the forbidden fruit. He will want it all the more.

If he wants to race let him. Make sure that you get a bunch of relatives and a bunch of his friends out there. Thats part of the reason why I loved my first race so much. All my friends were there and they were cheering me on. I didnt do that great but it was still awsome.

most local races are fine as far as parents screaming and shit..i just started racing a couple weeks ago and didnt really notice any of it..but then again im a hockey player and i get yelled at by parents all the time while playing so it dont even bother me anymore...

I take my two son's to the the track during practice but never race and it works for them.I am trying to get them at least one year of practice. they both love it just being there. 16 and 9 years old. the oldest is aggressive but conservablely he done and excellent job at a harescramble this year.

When I wanted to race, my parents let me and I thought it was really cool, and so did all my friends at school. Racing dirt bikes was huge popularity boost for me, and I would think it would be the same for your kid.

Just dont push your kid into being aggressive. One of the parents at my local track on practice day started screaming at his kid after he fell because he was yelling at him to go faster. The kid started balling and the dad just yelled even more. That kid will probably stop wanting to ride very very soon.

The only way to get a kid more aggressive, is to get him to ride with his friend that is as fast as he is. They will push eachother eventually. When I first started riding I rolled every jump, almost stalled in the corners, and didnt give any gas on straightaways, until I saw my friend pass by me, then I started to try.

Just dont push your kid into being aggressive. One of the parents at my local track on practice day started screaming at his kid after he fell because he was yelling at him to go faster. The kid started balling and the dad just yelled even more. That kid will probably stop wanting to ride very very soon.

The only way to get a kid more aggressive, is to get him to ride with his friend that is as fast as he is. They will push eachother eventually. When I first started riding I rolled every jump, almost stalled in the corners, and didnt give any gas on straightaways, until I saw my friend pass by me, then I started to try.

having someone passing u really pushes u to go a lot faster.