Sign in to follow this  

Cb360

I have been having a small problem with my bike. It was missing at around 4,oo rpms. Just a small dead spot. I adjusted the points and timing. That seemed to help. I then took the carbs off and check all passages and jets. Was a waste of time because it was fine. Now I have to put them back. Can I use a vacumn gauge to do this? My manual says to use a special mercury tool. Any help on carb sync would be appreciated. I also have a question about timing. My shop manual mentions a timing light. I am not clear on how to use it on the bike. any help or suggestion...thanks...Jim

yes you can use a vacumm guage but mercury is a little more accurate that's the only differance and it shouldn't be a problem.as far as the timing goes you time each cylinder separatly if i remember right . you have pull off the round left side engine cover to expose the rotor and stator and on both of those there should be index marks on them indicating which cylinder is to be timed and where or check for an inspection hole in the point plate the timing marks may be behind there.run the engine and then you set it just like a car by moving the points one way or the other then switch the timing light pick up to the other plug lead and adjust it accordingly. the points should be able to be adjusted independantly always set your gap first then the timing.if you have to pull the engine cover off there is oil there. i havent worked on one of these in years but this should get you close.