Sign in to follow this  

HELP 86 XL250R Jetting prob.

I have restored a 86 Xl250R and I am all done except that I cant get it to idle. I have torn into the promary carb 2 times and it is clean. I am stumped. I cannot find any kind of air leak. It runs like a raped ape with the Cobra pipe on it and both carbs are running #98 main jet. And there is no way to move a clip up or down on this one. When I let ti go to idle, it will idle high and then just quickly drop off and die. I have fiddled with the idle and air screw to no avail. If I turn the air screw all the way in it dies. If I back it almost all the way out it still runs fine as long as I keep bliping the throttle to keep it from falling off idle and dying.

I am at a loss and could use all the help I can get.

It may take a couple of days to check back on replys due to my work schedule. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I will check it out again and let you know what I find. What is the slow jet and what does it do? The clymer manual doesnt tell me. Thanks again.

I beleive the slow jet is the pilot jet ... On the old twin carb models the jetting is very touchy sounds like you put a pipe on it so your jetting is going need to be changed. You can move the clip on these but you have to take the whole top off of the carbs and dig in.

It would appear that the return spring on the needle jet is not there. Whoever rejetted it for the Cobra pipe I think lost it and didnt know it. It is the only thing I can come up with right now. I will find out for sure this next Sat. I will post results then.