Sign in to follow this  

how hard is it to change fork oil?

ive been playing with the suspention of my 06 CRF 450X recently and i have found that stock its pretty stiff for the woods. so following the advice of a suspention expert at the local stealer i loosend the clickers all the way out on the forks and the clickers all the way out on the rear shock except for the rebound out 16 clicks.

WOW what a difference! finally i can ride the bike a lot faster without getting so tired and without feeling every bump.

anyway he suggested going with a lighter fork oil. he also said you can change the rear shock oil also.

he said if i bring the forks in he will do it for 35 bucks. i didnt ask about the rear shock but i figure if i can take the parts off why cant i do the work for free? how hard is it to do and how much does the oil cost? does it come with a measuring device to make the forks the same?

i want to run the lighter oil so that i dont have to run the adjusters all the way out to get the bike where i want it. i would like to get close with the oil and be able to tweak it from there.

thanks

Before you get too carried away with the soft side consider this. First it does take a little time for the suspension to break in. I have an 05X that I bought new in February. When I first started riding it I felt the same way that you describe. Wow the suspension is really harsh. I can feel every little bump. So I did the same thing, I went waaaaaaay soft on the compression clickers. Gee plush ride. I rode trails with this setup until the weather got too hot.Then I started going to the local mx track and discovered that soft is not always better. I had to adjust it back to pretty much a stock set up and discovered that my bike handled soooooo much better. These bikes were designed to be ridden aggressively and that is when the suspension is at its best. After this I headed back to the trails and found that my bike handled much better there as well. Now I don't think of my suspension as harsh but just right. I hope this helps.

First thing...its not hard.

But read your manual and decide why your suspension feels harsh. Is it the initial hit or the compression. Because there are 2 things that go into the cartridge suspension. spring rate and dampening. the spring rate is just that how much force does it take to compress the spring. but the dampening is a function of fluid flow. the manual addresses this too btw. But essentially there is a differrence in how much fluid is in the fork and what the viscocity is. So do some reading and do some more riding before you make changes. (if you have never changed the fork oil it needs to be done anyway though assuming you have put more than 10 hours on t bike.)

You can mix viscocity rating to achieve an in between too ther isn't much between 0 and 5 so a mix might be what you want not staight 2.5 wt if you go lighter.