Sign in to follow this  

what to buy for old guy?

I'm 58 and have been riding for 35 years. I ride a KX250 with auto clutch & flywheel weight now and always seem to end up riding 5 or 6 hr. days in tight woods with big hills. Lately I've been having trouble with bad leg cramps , especialy my right kick start leg. Now I'm thinking of a new bike and want to decide between an xcw300 with E start thats supposed to be coming and the new xcfw250. I think the 250, in the end, is going to be less tiring to ride for an older guy like me than the 300, what do you think?

I have a 300XC-c for offroad and have a 280 kitted '06 250SXF for the mx track.

The 300XC is a blast in the woods. I just added a VForce 3 reed block, 14t front sprocket, and no-stall clutch. But it does tire me out more than the 280sxf.

I had back surgery two years ago and when riding the 300, I will get some craping in my right hip. With the lighter 280, I can ride a lot longer.

So I'm going to get an '07 250XCF-W and have a big bore kit put on it. The 30cc increase makes a big difference in being able to carry my 250lbs around on the mx track. Plus the addition of the e-start is an added bonus.

If you have someone near you that will let you take a spin on a big bore kitted KTM250, you can make a better decision.

I'm 58 and have been riding for 35 years. I ride a KX250 with auto clutch & flywheel weight now and always seem to end up riding 5 or 6 hr. days in tight woods with big hills. Lately I've been having trouble with bad leg cramps , especialy my right kick start leg. Now I'm thinking of a new bike and want to decide between an xcw300 with E start thats supposed to be coming and the new xcfw250. I think the 250, in the end, is going to be less tiring to ride for an older guy like me than the 300, what do you think?

To be honest with you I would say an xr400, no kick starter but an all around great and incredibly reliable bike. I have one also & just cant let it go.

I'm 56, well you can see what I ride, but a good friend has a KTM300 which he loves(truth be told so do I) he likes the low down torque that the smaller 2T's don't have.