Sign in to follow this  

Winter riding

Was wondering if anyone had recommendations for winter riding/commuting?

Vests/Jackets/Pants/Gloves that run off the battery for instance. Just got a full visored helmet, I can see that's going to help.

What a depressing question to ask at this time of year.

Talk about wishing your :thumbsup: life away. :applause::applause:

Electric jackets and stuff are great, if you have the power to run them.

The DRZ is going to struggle, probably OK on a long run, but around town and commuting, you are going to have a flat battery, sooner rather than later.

I put my faith in heated grips, and good clothing, lots of layers and wind/waterproof top layer.

Boots and gloves are the important one's, I use Sidi Discovery boots and they have been great.

Gloves are also important, but I hate thick gloves so use unlined summer gloves all year round.

If it is very wet I put rubber gloves over them, and find that the heated grips are enough to keep my hands toasty warm.

Neil. :ride::applause::applause:

I'm currently using a set of Joe Rocket Nitrogen gloves and I really like them. The local motorcycle police use the same ones and they ride 6+ hours a day in the winter. Those combined with heated grips would make for a seriously comfy ride for your hands.

As for the rest, lots of layers and a decent outer shell. I also like using a Balaclava to keep my neck and face from freezing.

Grant

snow.gif how long is your daily ride?

Mine is less then 15 min. and I ride as long as the roads are not frozen. I got my self a good pair of Joe Rocket winter gloves , and I use my snowboard jacket and pants. I find it that the fingers are the first to freeze , and ski gloves don't provide the cover in the right places. :thumbsup:snow.gif

Talk about wishing your life away.

My biggest pleasure in life is snowboarding so I look forward to winter big time. The bike is a close second though. Thanks for the info on the battery not being powerful enough... the battery lined clothes that I've researched are quite expensive.

Curious about the heated grips. Any particular brand you like? That sounds like a great idea. I also would like to use lightweight gloves. Gotta feel that grip when you're blasting off.

snow.gif how long is your daily ride?

I got my self a good pair of Joe Rocket winter gloves , and I use my snowboard jacket and pants. I find it that the fingers are the first to freeze , and ski gloves don't provide the cover in the right places. :thumbsup:snow.gif

My commute is ~25 min also along non-highway roads. I also board, and was going to use a similar setup but wasn't sure if the clothing worked for the bike. I think I've gone at least up to 60mph boarding :ride: so the wind should be similar.

I guess the big difference would be the gloves/grip so will investigate the heated grips (which we don't have to deal with boarding). Snowboarding boots obviously also don't work... guess I'll try my dirt boots with two pairs of socks before looking for dedicated boots.