Sign in to follow this  

More info about DMC Frames?

Does anyone have any more information about the DMC frame mentioned in several posts here? I'd like to compare it to the BBR. I'm considering a serious upgrade to my 230. My friend and mechanic has a line on a 03 CR85 with a blown motor that the owner can't spend $600 to fix. I'm looking to make an offer.

Now, before the "Buy a better Bike" crowd jumps in, here's why I'm considering this course of action. I'm 38, and cost isn't a factor. But, I'm only 5'5 with a 27" inseam. I've ridden XR400's, CRF450's and more, but I just can't get my feet to the ground. It's impossible for my to kick start an XR or CR in any size other than the CR85. I'm extremely upset that a 125, 250, and 450 have the exact same seat height. Heck, I have trouble on my 31" Sprint ST. I would dearly love to be able to ride the 250X.

So, the CRF230 fits me well. I feel comfortable, and with this forum's assistance, the motor is running great and strong. I was holding my own with few weeks ago against my friends RM250 and CRF450 in some serious woods riding.

I definiately want to stay 4-stroke. I haven't ridden an 85 so I don't know how it would perform with me on top. I'm about 150lbs dry. I also want the bike to be street legal, which it will be ready this Tuesday for inspection submission of the appropriate paperwork. The Street legality is less for comuting, and more for the occational road riding that needs to happen between trails here in PA.

OK, so that got long winded, so basically, I'm looking for more info on the DMC frame (conversion?) and maybe a comparison to the BBR frame kit. I can't find a website for DMC that has frames as a product.

Thanks!

--Joel

pretty neat stuff. Great link. If you do a conversion post it up. Good luck!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to tackle it this winter. I'll be done with the basement bar/movie theater and in search of a new major project as all the home projects will be complete.

The Wife has approved a new motorcycle in 07 to replace my Sprint ST, but I've been doing more dirt than street, and the ST has another easy 70K miles at least in it's heart. So, the CR85/CRF230 conversion will make the Wife alot happier in terms of budget. And it should make my weekend's a lot more fun.

I'll take good photos and write it up when the time comes!

Oh yeah, does anyone know if the only difference between the CR85 and the Expert version is the wheels? I think my potential donor bike is the standard, not the expert, but if it's just the wheels, I'll just hit up Ebay.

--Joel

Yep, wheel size and rear shock size/valving. Isn't the 85 too small? I am 5'11, I used to be 6" but the 40's is approaching and we tnd to loose an inch or so as we get older, but the CRF230 was too small for me. I raised it over 1.8" front and rear as well as lengthned the wheel base about an inch. 35.5 inch seat height seems about right for my size on a trail bike.

If the purpose of the swap is suspension then that can be remidied right on the bike at a fraction of the cost of a full coversion plus you get a larger bike. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393678

Then again a small play bike may be what you are after in which case a mini bike conversion makes sense.

Good luck!

Yeah I saw that post earlier. Nicely done, BTW. If you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back?

You do make a good point. With out too much effort, I could do the Works rear or send mine to Helbo's and do the Reger's front with the CR 85 forks and get the results I'm looking for. It might not make any sense to do the conversion in that repect.

Unless the conversion would save 30lbs or so, then it might be worth it.

-Joel

Thanks!

You can do a conversion (via ebay) for $500 installed. That is the big forks. If you want them revalved, rebuilt and lowered then add another $200 or so. Add $150 for the CR250 front wheel. Rear shock is $450 or so. You can do 85E forks too but you can not raise the bike height with those. Infact, they are 1/8" lower than the stock forks. Remember, you can then sell your 230 parts for about $200 so the cost coes down more.

With the suspension swap, the suspension now works better than any bike off any dealer floor bar none.

True the weight is still there but it is not THAT much heavier and the geometry is great for trails and quick turns where a MX bike is not quite as nimble. Even if you convert, the starter and battery will slash any weight savings you may have gotten unless you go kick start. Basicly frame weight difference is what you have and that is a long way to go for 10 pouds of saved weight.

If you want MX action then definitly a conversion or just get a proper MX bike. If not, then I vote stay with the 230 and fix the issue which is really only the crappy suspension and I assure you, you will not look back if you do it right.

The ride and ergonomics are just incredible as the bars are over 2" higher and posture is more MX like. Funy as the stock 230 ergonomics really sucked for trails. It was like a mountian bike. Just bent over so far and basicly holding your self up with your arms.

Good luck!

Joel, the differences between the CR85 17/14 and big wheel are the wheels and the swingarm. Would be way cheaper to do what ebeck suggests and upgrade the 230's suspension if you want the best bang for your buck. The BBR conversion bikes are majorly trick though. The DMC frames are half the cost of the BBR's I think. BTW, I have a 29" inseam and with the KTM low seat and a suspension revalve, I can touch the ground comfortably and have no trouble kicking my 200. With subframe mods, shaving the seat, and lowering the suspension a full 1", you can lower the bike a lot more. If you have the $$, find a used KTM200 and do these mods. Check out KTMTalk.com for tons of info on this subject, both in the Which Bike forum and the Women's forum, where height-challenged issues come up all the time. Good luck and have fun.

Well, I've been doing some soul searching based on this conversation, and it's fair to say I have a hard decision ahead of me. So here are the items that I'm trying to use to help me make my decision:

• First, I'm not looking to lower my seat height. It's acceptable as it is. I'm certainly not looking to raise it either.

• Second, I need better suspension. While I'm not racing, I do like to ride hard. This is the big driver for the upgrade.

• Third, I don't know how satisfied I'll be with a drum rear brake. With 200 miles (est) on the bike, I've just lost the rear pads. I'll find out more tomorrow, but it appears that the liners separated or disintegrated.

• Fourth, I want to stay with the 4-stroke. I think the 85 Expert would be fun, and I may add one just for grins, but for now, I like the 230 motor.

• Fifth, I'd like a 250X or a DR400, but I can't touch the ground, so they are out.

• Sixth, Doing the Reger's kit, ebay Forks, and a Works shock will run $1300 minimum. $2000 for the DMC frame, and $500 for a dead 85 donor bike seems to be a fair price to pay for getting the rear disc brake. The BBR seems way to high.

• Finally, I like the idea of the Reger's kit. I don't really like messing around trying to rig stuff together. Also, I like helping innovators like this stay in business so we benefit from their efforts, where Honda and the like ignore our pleas.

--Joel

I have a DMC conversion with a big bore CRF150 motor. It is the most fun bike Ive ever ridden. It was worth every penny. I used to ride an XR-400, but I got tired of falling over because it was so heavy and I couldnt touch the ground. Then starting it was always a chore. I would highly recommend doing the conversion weather its a DMC or BBR.

Hi - I haven't seen the frame and didn't even know it existed. But if DMC is the DMC of Dave Miller Concepts, it's probably going to be the best piece of hardware ever built for this bike.

Dave used to build SUPER "Super Minis" back in the 1980s. A Super Mini was a bike that was approx 105cc back in the day, with tires the same size that a CRF150 has - the catch is, there were guys building them and then there was DMC ie: Dave Miller Concepts. His bikes were works of art. Full on factory bikes that the actual FACTORIES bought for their mini riders. His bikes, frame, and engines were so far ahead of the competition that back in the day if you weren't racing a DMC Super Mini you didn't stand a chance.

That's why I said he build "SUPER" Super Minis!

I'll have to do a search and see what he is up to - I can't imagine that his stuff isn't just absolutely positively unbelievable if he's putting in the effort that he "USED TO" when he was hardcore in the sport!

Just did a quick search and here is a story from Trans World MX on DMC and it has a link to his site at the bottom:

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/features/article/0,13190,1034648,00.html

Then again maybe this DMC frame you're talking about isn't even the same company. Have to check into it myself.

Mike

Its the same Dave Miller.

He was building trick stuff in the late 70's. Snake pipes and a thing called an "afterburner" in some of his pipes. Magazines then were "Minicycle" and featured his work extensively.

Socalxr knows him well in the TTR or 80 - 200 group.

Have you seen the DMC exhaust for the CRF150? It turns into a megaphone at the end and then snaps shut into an aluminum silencer - kinda interesting looking!

I'd love to play with some FMF powerbomb and megabomb style headers to see if they would have any affect/effect on our engines.

Mike