Sign in to follow this  

Front brake drag

I'm trying to bring a well used 84 XR250R back to life (not exactly vintage).

On the front disk brakes, what makes the pads pull back a bit after you apply them? Is that a function of the caliper? My problem is the brake locks solid and only lets up maybe 5% from full lock.

I have:

- pulled the caliper off the bike

- took the pads out and all the little metal bits

- cleaned everything up

- I did not pull the pistons out (worried the seals would rip/tear)

- cleaned up the pins (they were fairly smooth)

- put a bit of high temp brake grease on the pins

- put the caliper back together and back on the bike

- put in fresh fluid and bled the brakes

Pumped up the front brake lever, and exact same thing ... front wheel is almost at full lock with no pressure on the front brake lever.

So sounds like the pistons are not retracting back into the caliper ... could that be caused by the master cylinder? (This happens even with the master cylinder fluid cover off, so it isn't too much fluid causing the problem)

Or is this 100% a problem in the caliper?

Looking at the prices of seals and pistons from a dealer it would probably make more sense to pick up a newer used caliper on eBay vs. trying to rebuild this old one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I`m no bike mechanic, but it sure sounds like the caliper is the problem.

And just for info,Ive got a 85 xl and have been able to find a lot of parts for it at mrcyleparts.com.

sounds like the caliper piston is sticking in the bore.

Moisture in the brake fluid causes corrosion in the caliper and will make the bucket stick. You will need to pop the bucket out along with seals and do a really good cleaning of the bucket and the caliper surfaces. a really fine sand paper on the inside should bring it back to working order. clean everything with new brake fluid only, no wd40 or anything else. put it all back together and it will be fine. be sure to flush out the master and hose really well.

the samething happens on my old cb750 when it sits for a long period of time.like everyone else says disassemble the caliper as the piston is corroded in the housing and clean it good.the seals for mine are only about 10.00 .easy fix.