Sign in to follow this  

01 520mxc Overheated And Will Not Run Normal

I have been riding the same trails for years and I overheated and almost seized the motor last ride. the motor was barley able to turn over so I waited a half hour to let it cool off. The bike started and ran fine but was leaking water into the engine and causing white smoke. I replaced the "O" rings on the water pump shaft to fix the leek. Now the bike runs EXTREMELY HOT after being on for only a couple min. I can see the water flowing through the radiator but its like its not doing anything or going through the motor. The water pump looks great so I'm not sure whats happening.

Any ideas are appreciated

Thanks

Couplel of other places for water to come from, likely a head gasket. Worst case could be a cracked liner. Are you getting water into your lower end?

If oil is milky we have bigger problems such as a blown head gasket but when you worked on it did you blead the air out of the system?? There is an air blead near the spark plug and 01's had another on the top of the right radiator

OK, I opened the bleed screw and as soon as popped open the radiator cap water shot out so I assume thats good. My real concern is that the motor smell like its burning when its running and get extremely hot within less than 2 min. It also became very difficult to start and after it overheated like maybe a valve issue???

Thanks for the info on the bleed screw, I didn't know that was even there.

I put my rad louvers on the wrong way last week, and my bike overheated in a matter of minutes......steam and coolant everywhere......I had tank and seat off checked everything,,,,,,,then ...my friend noticed the louvers, I swithced them around and no problems now..........very embarrassing mistake I made...........