Sign in to follow this  

Cam chains.. What else?

Hello everyone, I am new to this sport and have been lurking for a while. I bought a used Green DR (klx400) with 3500 miles on it. Ill use it for mostly street. It already has the 3X3 mod and Dyna jet. This thing is noisy (sewing machine) and from reading these forums is mostly normal. Today I finally got familiar with the bike. I took off the valve cover (valve clearances good) and was looking at the timing marks on the cam gears. when at TDC the exhaust cam timing marks are straight up (12 oclock) but the marks for the intake are slightly lagging. Would this be an indication of a stretched chain? The photo in the service manual shows them exactly vertical. there are 15 pins between marks, which is correct. I already have plans to replace the chain in the fall, should i change out the cam chain drive gear also? Can you just replace the gears on the camshafts? I have a MCCT but not installed yet. Thanks in advance.

yes, to everything that you said. The arrows on the exhaust gear line up (parallel) with the head , but the intake arrows do not. If the intake marks were lined up with the head, the exhaust mark would be a little bit advanced.