Sign in to follow this  

Tiny crack in motor case: patch or replace?

Found a tiny little crack in the clutch side motor cover that leaks ever so slowly. Can this be patched/welded? I imagine it would be best to replace the cover but I would rather spend the money on tires, and I don't know how difficult it would be to replace (is it a bolt off/on deal?) given my limited motorcycle repair experience :thumbsup:

Looks like it could be patched - maybe JB Weld or something like that? I could probably have someone weld it right if that's a better way to go.

Pics should help...

crack1.jpg

crack2.jpg

crack3.jpg

Thanks for any advice and happy roosting for all!

You could get it welded and have a pretty much permanent fix.

You could JB Weld it and have a possibly permanent fix, with some luck and good surface preparation. Roughen the surface with a Dremel, degrease with lots of carb cleaner, and cross your fingers. Might be able to weld it later, dont know if the epoxy would "pollute" the metal.

I hope you replaced the shift lever, it will bend all the easier next time and damage the repair.

You never know how permanent a temporary fix will be,

being as though this is a four stroke and does not hold much oil. I would not take the chance of using jb weld or some other epoxy because is it starts leaking while your riding and some oil leaks out you could possibly do some motor damage. I recommend replacing or welding.....

I agree with the JB Weld. I used it on a pinhole on my jeep freeze plug, where it was leaking coolant. Worked great. Just make sure the surface is CLEAN. Use some contact cleaner and let dry before you apply.

JB weld = COB JOB :thumbsup:

JB weld is for temporary fix not very professional..

JB all the way. Go price a side case at the dealer and you'll know what I mean. :thumbsup: This isn't a moving part that will grenade your engine. I've done exactly what you're talking about and it works fine. This is a dirt bike, it will have battle scars.

being as though this is a four stroke and does not hold much oil. I would not take the chance of using jb weld or some other epoxy because is it starts leaking while your riding and some oil leaks out you could possibly do some motor damage. I recommend replacing or welding.....

I don't know about your bike but my xr holds almost 2l of oil and your saying thats not much, jb weld works great i have used it on several bike no of them mine but mates and one of my friends drz400 put a pretty big hole and we just jb welded a piece of metal over it.

Found a tiny little crack (stuff snipped)

Looks like it could be patched - maybe JB Weld or something like that? I could probably have someone weld it right if that's a better way to go.

Thanks for any advice and happy roosting for all!

mate that's not a crack... that's NORMAL. (well sorta anyway). If you own an xr and fall over a lot (well I do anyways) you gonnal get a scratch/hole right there. Since the hole is on the strator cover (and quite high up too) there will not be any oil pressure to cause you much problems. Do like everyone suggests and J B Weld it (clean it good first). You might also want to first remove the cover and bash out the dent (put it on a smooth that surface and smack it with a small hammer from the inside)

I've seen Waaaaaay bigger holes than that that have been sucessfully patched. Might look a bit ratty, but hey it's a dirt bike 'aint it? Call it a war wound and be prepared to tell the story of how it got there (the law allows you to embellish the any anecdote as much as is required to make it entertaining).

Meatbomb.........

FWIW, I would have it welded or replace it. If you JB weld it, it might hold for a bit but next time you drive the shift lever into it you might end-up with BIG hole and no way back except to push or be towed. HTH

Strait from the man code:

5. You may exaggerate any anecdote told to your friends by 50% without recrimination, beyond that anyone within earshot is allowed to yell out "bullshit!". (exception: when trying to pick up a girl, the allowable exaggeration is 400%)

Nuf said.

Also, pull the damn cover off and have it welded the right way... won't cost much more, and it will probably hold up better next time u hit it.

You can definitely patch that. Instead of jb weld, You can get an epoxy putty. There are several brands out there, but anyone will do. You can get it at home depot or any other hardware store. All you have to do is cut off a chunck of the putty, knead it until the two parts are evenly mixed. then apply it to the cleaned surface. It is suposed to be as strong as steel, sandable, drillable, and even tapable. depending on the brand, some are heat resistant up to 500 degrees. IT does the same job as jb weld, without the mess. It has almost full strenght after 15 minutes. I always carry some when I ride. Hope this helps.

thanks for all the input. i think patching is the way to go, I like the putty idea (is quicksteel the sort of stuff you're talking about?) if it doesn't hold up then I can always do a better job of it later.

as for how it happened, I let someone else ride my bike that weekend and maybe he has an idea...Mike, you reading this :thumbsup: Guess I'll have to make something up...

Waterweld is a good extremely hard epoxy stick product that works well for things like that. I keep a stick in my fanny pack and it has come in handy on many occasions when you run across someone who has busted a radiator,clutch cover or something on the trail. Dries fast and sticks to everything like crazy. If you wet your finger and smooth it out after you apply it and before it dries you will not need to sand it afterwards.

patch it for now. start watching ebay. I found one a used one for $25. Now I have a spare one in my tool box that is the one I patched.

as for how it happened, i'll blame it on the time i flipped over the handle bars. it wasn't my fault though, i was trying to avoid the leprechaun in the middle of the trail. honest. yoou wouldn't want me to hurt a leprechaun would you? they might take away my guiness or something......

sorry bro! :thumbsup:

Quicksteel is exactly what I'm talking about. I can't remember the name, but I picked up some other brand at Home Depot. It seems to work just as well.

Pretty sure your clutch is on the other side right near where the clutch cable enters the case.