Sign in to follow this  

Insurance wants to talk about the value of the bike.

My DR650 was stolen a couple of weeks ago. The insurance company said in 2 1/2 to 3 weeks we would discuss the value of the bike. I'm going to argue for the replaclement value not book value if I'm not happy with the number they come up with. Now the question. What would you pay for an Average to Excellent condition 2003 DR650, 6600 miles, suzuki skid plate and rack, DRZ 250 tail light, otherwise stock. Please give reasonable answers so I get an idea. I'm thinking $3200 to $3700 does that seem in line? Thanks for the help.

:thumbsup: This is what I would rather be doing than talking with the insurance company.

I used to work in insurance and what they use is "actual cash value". That's what you would pay to buy another one to replace your stolen one. They are going to figure about 40% depreciation on a 4 year old bike. That's about $3k. I see bikes around here, rarely, about that price. Most people think the bike was made in Milwaukee and only lost a couple of hundred in 4 years.

There's bike like yours in Sacramento that has 600 miles on it. He's been trying to sell it for a month. $3500.

Call around the stealerships and talk to the sales manager about prices. Explain about the insurance company thing so they know you're not fishing for bargaining info with them.

You might also check cycletrader and craigslist and see what they actually sell for and not the asking prices.

Have fun and good luck.

I bought my 03 about 3 months ago. It had 746 miles on it. I paid $2600. Bike was mint. I added a Moose skid plate, $70 and the Ebay rack, $70. So I have around $2750 in mine.

I talked with the claims agent today. He came up with just under $3500 for what they would pay minus deductible. I'm happy with the amount, it is what I figured it should be. He said mail them the title and the they would issue the check, he also asked if I needed any financing on a new bike because that might be a possibility. Other than the hassle and sadness of having my bike stolen I'm pleased with the outcome. I'll get a new bike the wife says so. I hope whoever took it is enjoying it as much as I did.

I hope whoever took it is enjoying it as much as I did.

Enjoying it?!? ...You guys are way too nice down south! I'd be wishing death on whoever stole my ride :thumbsup:

Deep inside I hope they find a tree that doesn't move out of the way, but I would like to think that they needed it more than I did. It's messed up anyway you look at it. Everything is working well in my favor though other than the hassle. Going to test ride a double thumper (boxer) tomorrow. I played in traffic mostly anyway.