Sign in to follow this  

why won't the WR let me kick it over?

While riding yesterday, I kept noticing everytime I hit that little "magic button", I seemed to be working a little to get it started, thought I was my imagination. Well, it wasn't, went to hop on this morning, no power. So I thought well I'll just kickstart it and check to see if battery is charging. It wouldn't let me kickstart it , so I hooked battery charger to it for a few minutes and it cranked over via magic button.

So: 1) Why couldn't I kickstart it--yes I had ignition switch on.

2) I checked ignition switch with meter--it is NOT faulty

3) With bike running check voltage of battery 5.75 DCV, should be around 14.9 according to manual. I have NOT yet check the charging circuit (i believe that's what the book called it).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

by workin a little, do you mean it was lugging, or it had to turn it over for a while?

it could be jetting, and the battery was almost dead from you tryin to start it.

mabe its time for a new battery :thumbsup:

by workin a little, do you mean it was lugging, or it had to turn it over for a while?

it could be jetting, and the battery was almost dead from you tryin to start it.

mabe its time for a new battery :thumbsup:

bike ran fine, it was only "working" starting it. I could tell that the battery might have been low.

Unfortunately that battery is only about 7months old, although I did leave my little red light on overnight last weekend. I've got it on the trickle charger right now, I'll see what becomes of it.

Just an FYI.

The very FIRST thing my dealer told me when I bought my '05 WR was that the charging system on these bikes are terrible. I purchased a $20 battery tender from WallyWorld and plug it in every night before a day of riding and have never had a problem with starting via the magic button.

Mine also is a bear to start cold via the kicker, it is almost as though it "floods" very easily when attempting to start this way, however, once the bike is hot it starts on one kick. I know this does not answer your question but I wanted to let you know I have a similar issue so it maybe something inherent with the bike.

I actually do have the wally world tender. It would work better had I been using it!!! I had quit using it because I didn't think it was doing any good, perhaps I was wrong!

help me out fellows..any clue why I can't kickstart it. Last time I had a dead battery, I'm pretty darn sure I was still able to kick it. Seems like having a kickstart would be pointless. I've metered every socket the book says the only one that seems to possibly in question is the Relay Starter Solenoid (under the seat rear of the snorkel)

HELP...need to get back running..prime riding here now!!! Should I just order the battery and get it in.

BTW trickle charged battery for 24hrs..only 6.5vDC coming out of it..so it's obvious the battery is shot, but I'm still confused about the no kickstart!~

Jump it with your car battery - it's also 12V. Maybe the solenoid got stuck sticking out into the starter gear hence you can't kick the engine over - meaning the starter may be broken or jammed... :thumbsup:

Just an FYI.

The very FIRST thing my dealer told me when I bought my '05 WR was that the charging system on these bikes are terrible. I purchased a $20 battery tender from WallyWorld and plug it in every night before a day of riding and have never had a problem with starting via the magic button.

Mine also is a bear to start cold via the kicker, it is almost as though it "floods" very easily when attempting to start this way, however, once the bike is hot it starts on one kick. I know this does not answer your question but I wanted to let you know I have a similar issue so it maybe something inherent with the bike.

I have an 06, it's rejetted properly and and does the same for me. Starts fairly easy with the e-start though.

They can be harder to kick start, especially when you get used to the e-start and don't finesse your start up technique.

Leaving the iginition on has drained my battery in the past, but the dead battery shouldn't prevent kick starting it. You may have flooded it or something. Can you normally kick start it cold (sometimes I'll do it just for 'fun' or practice), if you normally use the e-start it may just be that you haven't had the oppurtunity to perfect your starting routine..

can you kick it over? or will the starter not budge?

if it kicks over, then chech the valve clearance, i bet the intakes are tight.

the e-start probly turned it quick enough to start it even though the valves were out of spec.

if your starter wont budge, then i thinke youve got bigger issues.

Okay here's where I'm at..

Pulled the plug to see if I was getting fire. Kicked it over with dead battery attached--no fire.

Hooked up jumper cables from truck to dead battery gets fire now via kickstart or e-start.

Unhooked truck, tried the kickstarter, no fire.

So..I don't believe the actual starter is or has been in question. Nor is it a matter of my kickstart technique, because no matter who or how you kick it, it should at least produce a spark.

Is a certain amount of voltage required to even allow the plug to fire, regardless?

It sounds like you have a charging system problem, I would first check the stator (Yamaha calls it a charging coil) check resistance & if you can start it check voltage output. If that checks out next step would be to check the voltage regulator/rectifier.

Hope this helps...

It sounds like you have a charging system problem, I would first check the stator (Yamaha calls it a charging coil) check resistance & if you can start it check voltage output. If that checks out next step would be to check the voltage regulator/rectifier.

Hope this helps...

I did check all those except my voltage output. I will recheck, though I still haven't figured out why that would prohibit you from kickstarting the bike. :thumbsup:

One of the many reasons I liked the WR is because it had the kickstart. When my ol' TT-R battery went dead, better hope you had a long hill, it had no kickstart at all

Also check the battery, I have seen in rare occasions a electrical short inside of a battery. On your question why it won't start, if your battery's dead or low own voltage your bike needs a 12v source from somewhere that usually comes from the vehicle's charging system, ie. stator, alternator, generator.

My 0.02 is that there is something seizing somewhere in that engine... I don't know what it is but your leg just seem to feel the same thing as your battery: the engine is tough to make rev. Remove the side cover that on the magneto side and check if you can get your engine to rotate with a ratchet. The feeling should be smooth and the crank should be swinging by itself once you've passed tdc...

Keep posting.

As I stated in my earlier post when I hooked the truck to my bike. I was getting fire via the kickstarter (using only my hand to push it over). As soon as I disconnected the truck, I could no longer get spark. Maybe someone can walk me thru what happens when you start the bike.

1. kick it

2. flywheel turns

3. creates electrical charge..gets sent to the CDI?

4.then what? to the regulator then the coil and voila, spark from the plug?

someone enlighten me.

As I stated in my earlier post when I hooked the truck to my bike. I was getting fire via the kickstarter (using only my hand to push it over). As soon as I disconnected the truck, I could no longer get spark.

:applause: ..... :thumbsup:

i think i know whats wrong with it. i think the battery is done. the battery is not completing the circuit. when you had the charger hooked up it completed the circuit and gave power to the starter, same with the truck, but you disconnected it to kick it right?

do you get what i mean? no circuit no fire. the battery breaks the circuit.

time for a new battery imho.

can you borrow a battery from a buddy that has the same bike? if so then put it in and giver a kick.

i think i know whats wrong with it. i think the battery is done. the battery is not completing the circuit. when you had the charger hooked up it completed the circuit and gave power to the starter, same with the truck, but you disconnected it to kick it right?

do you get what i mean? no circuit no fire. the battery breaks the circuit.

time for a new battery imho.

can you borrow a battery from a buddy that has the same bike? if so then put it in and giver a kick.

But even with the dead battery in and connected, kicking won't produce any spark--I see what you mean about the circuit, but in this case the completed circuit is there....

But even with the dead battery in and connected, kicking won't produce any spark--I see what you mean about the circuit, but in this case the completed circuit is there....

Not sure how to solve your problem, but when you hooked your truck's battery to it, this is essentially trying it out with a new battery and it DID work...