Sign in to follow this  

wr250 maintenance

Hello,

I just purchased an 06 wr250 and was looking at the manual, do you really have to take the motor apart and check the piston every 8 to 16hr? This is my first dirt bike and I plan on riding it 4 to 5 hrs each weekend so that works out to taking it apart once a month or twice a month.

My ’05 WR250 has required very little maintenance. I have not done anything to the engine, it still has the stock piston. I have something like 3-4000 km. on the bike.

My WR and my old ’00 CR have proven extremely reliable. The 250 2-stroke husky are very well built bikes.

They have one silly flaw in design though. Water and dirt have easy access to the steering head bearings.

http://www.**************/forum/viewtopic.php?t=444

These motors are bullet-proof. Keep the air filter clean and change the gearbox regularly and you should have no problems. I had an '02 for about 2 years and did trails, enduro, some MX riding. Never touched the motor at all. I liked the bike so much I now have an '06 WR250 with a CR ignition and 19" rear wheel as I do some MX, Enduro/CC, Gran Prix etc. These bikes are very solid all the way around and I have been amazed that normal maintenance is about all they require.

Our friend from Iceland gives some sound advise about the steering head. Try not to blast water into it when washing. My dealer said that one option is to drill and tap it on the side and install a grease fitting and fill it with grease. Also on the '02 the engine mounts would come loose from time to time. I have not experienced this on the '06 yet.

Bono

'06 WR/CR 250

Hi

My dealer says for warranty top end @ 1600Km (32hrs) and bottom end inc top end ie whole motor @ 4000km (80hrs) and a service every 800km (16hrs)

1hr=50km

service book goes up to 8000Km

cost

service $120 AUD less if you clean air filter...

Top end $350 AUD

2006 WR 250

These motors are bullet-proof. Keep the air filter clean and change the gearbox regularly and you should have no problems.

Bono

'06 WR/CR 250

How regular do you change the oil, what grade is it and how much does it hold?

cheers

scotty

I change every 10h and use Maxima MTL-R oil.

I think its 0,75 liters, but there is a screw on the clutch side that tells the right oil-level

I am new to the sport, old and slow, and got a WR 250 last fall the manual has 2 maintenance schedules one says check the top end at 8/16 hrs the other says check at 3000km which should I follow. Also I have not touched the jetting it has the 15 pilot and 400 main and seems to run OK but I do get some drool out the pipe is this OK?

I have owned 2=strokes for over 30 years. I check the top end only when there is a noticeable loss in compression or an increased top end "rattle" on cold starts.

I was surprised to find that my '04 WR250 needed a new piston and cylinder re-plate after only 2 years. Not saying that is too bad though considering it was raced (hare scramble) for those 2 years and alot of trail riding. My Gasgas EC300 needed rings only after 5 years and I was hoping for similiar longevity from the Husky.