Sign in to follow this  

a little help/advice needed

OK, I was up till 3am last night reading over old 3x3 posts. I'm still a little confused. Can this newbie with no wrenching experience beg for a little more help? :thumbsup:

What i wanted to try was a little experiment in opening up the airbox hole as I am already running at altitudes of 4,500 to 8,000. I figure I'm running to rich and others in my area have confirmed this. Obviously, a full re-jet will be the best long term solution. So my questions:

OK, maybe I'm dumb but is the "snorkel" the rubber piece that runs from the airfilter area through the roof to the under-seat area or is it that cylinder that is out the back near the battery? If it is the cylindar, it sure looks more complicated than simply "removing it". What do you do with all of the hoses and such?

Second (see pictures): I removed my seat and the two white plastic side covers. The airfilter is totally exposed. Am I missing a compartment cover or something for this area? The reason I ask is because the side of the air filter compartment is nothing but a huge hole which is not sealed or even blocked simply by replacing the white side panel. With this massive open side, I'm struggling to understand why a 3x3 hole the top of that same compartment would make much of a difference....?????

Thanks for the help!

IMG_2736.jpg

IMG_2737.jpg

IMG_2738.jpg

Relax..... No your not missing a cover.. the side plate plastic is the air box cover. Yes the rubber snorkel pulls right out from the top. Very simple.. Then open the air box hole up to 3" x 3".. Re jet,go ride

if you don't rejet you can safely remove just the snorkle, i've done just that b/c im too cheap to rejet. other than that the 3x3 is as simple as it looks other than the rejet.

Take the snorkle out (top of the airbox towards the rear). Cut the hole, and that will lean your mixture at 4600 ft. You can rejet later... you will see a big improvement just doing that.

The canister is on the California DRZ models. Do a search for emission system.

cool, thanks! The hole is cut and I'm taking it for a ride tonight. It's closer to 2x3 right now since I'm not ready to re-jet. I just wanted to try compensating for the high altitude. I'd love to notice some kind of improvement in throttle response or power, or anything. What an easy mod! I just filled the tank last night, so this is perfect timing to see how long I go until I hit the reserve. Last time it was exactly 100 miles. I wonder if it will have any effect.

Take the snorkle out (top of the airbox towards the rear). Cut the hole, and that will lean your mixture at 4600 ft. You can rejet later... you will see a big improvement just doing that.