Sign in to follow this  

Ktm 525sx

Looking for opinions on anyone who has lived with one of theses bikes.

I have the chance to buy brand new 2005 model at a very decent price.

I currently ride a 250sxs 2 stroke and am consideing this as an addition not as a replacement but I have very little experience on a four stroke and am wondering if it may be a bit of a handful.

It is the only one in the shop and as it is new they won't let me try before i buy.

Generally speaking, the 520/5 models were gentle giants.

It acts like a 450, just with alot more oompf.

My '01 520 actually felt surprisingly mild. Yet, if you rode it ham fistedly, you could end up on the ground.

If you're playing around, it should be fun. If you plan on racing, you'd better be fairly big, in shape, and skilled. Iknew an average sized guy who raced on in the junior class, and after lap 2, it rode him more than he rode it. Always got the holeshot though. Knew another guy with a 520, and even though he was easily over 300lbs, he always got the holeshot too.

I do intend racing it, we have the thumper cross series over here and I fancy giving it a shot. I weigh around 220pounds, 6ft 3in tall and do train hard to keep in shape but I'm no horsepower junkie and can also get a new 2005 450sx even cheaper. I was really just wondering if the 525 would have been better due to my size.

Well, I do have, like mentioned, an '01 520SX, and an '04 450SX.

THe 520 is faster, but the 450 is quicker.

I actually used the 520SX for hare scrambles, usually won my class, and was ready to upgrade to expert class when I blew the motor twice (whoops) and quit the racing.

THe 520 will tire you out if you ride it wrong. Riding it correctly, you can go all day on it. It is a LUGGER BIKE. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT rev that machine. Doing so will tire you out so fast it's not funny.

USE the unholy torque, and the bike is insanely nice. It will eat any 450 any day of the week. I don't care what it is!

I believe the '05's had improved ignitions and light cranks, so it may be even more wild than my 520, but I loved that 520!

Ah, and when I got the bike, it was June 2001, I had only been riding for 2 years. Low to mid pack "C" class MX racer - mid pack C class hare scrambler. I was about 170 lbs, 6'0".

After getting the bike, I stopped MX, but went to as mentioned, top 2, usually winning B class hare scrambles, upgrading to A - so the bike definitely didn't HURT my newbie self. I ended up working into an A pace rider in MX, although never raced it in that.

Now, I am faster on my 450 than I ever was on my 520, but the 450 I do need to work a little more for jumping and such.

MYyideal bike, is my 520 motor, in my 450 chassis/suspension - which, by the way, should be a modern 525!

And my avatar is my '01 520, so that "old" bike will corner!

Now thats what I call progress!!!!!!!!

From what I understand the chassis and just about every other part on the bike is identical to my 250sxs although for some bizzare reason the rear shock spring is softer.

That said the first thing I will do is toss the standard suspension.

In my heart I want this bike, I was told that when Joel Smets raced the 520 on the GP circuit the factory removed 1st and 2nd gears as the were not required.

I guess I've just never ridden anything that I don't have to constantly shift on and it seems like a bit of a strange concept. Can they really have that much torque???

Okay I am in sort of the same quandry, I am getting a 2007 with a plate, I currently ride a CRF250X with bore and stroke 307 kit. I do really ride it using mostly the low end torque. Originally I was thinking the 450 because it would be less tiering in tighter trails, but since I am used to really riding with mainly low end torque and short shifting, should I go with the 525?

I guess I've just never ridden anything that I don't have to constantly shift on and it seems like a bit of a strange concept. Can they really have that much torque???

Oh yes they can. I might not be a big guy (5'8" 160lbs) but I am still impressed by the fact that my 450 can pull a 4th gear start with me on it. Yes, I said 4th gear. (my bike only has 4 gears) And this is just a 450! Imagine a 525! I wanted to get a 525 but since I wanted to race I didnt get it because there isnt any classes around here that I could race it in.

4 strokes are awsome. I can jump everything on my local track in 2nd or 3rd gear. I can pull wheelies on flat ground in 4th gear without touching the clutch. THAT is what having torque is like.

Well, I never had to shift. 2nd gear was my dad's 1st-high 3rd on his YZ426.

Infact, when I was riding the 520 last year (the 450 motor was getting a rebuild due to sucking dirt), dad was behind me, coming out of a corner - and he commented to me -

" I had forgotten how fast that bike is! I was behind you, and you came out of the corner, and it didn't even sound like you were on the throttle hard at all, and I was wide open, and you were just walking me "

His 426 against my 520. I was, as I recall, in 2nd gear, only about 1/2 throttle, and his 426 was getting walked. He also weighs 50 lbs less than I do, and about 4" shorter.

I remember the first time I raced against the new YZ450's in the hare scrambles. Yeah, a bunch of the guys ran the MX bikes in the scrambles, since there were no big rocks or nasty tight stuff most hare scrambles have....normal, dead engine starts. I got a bad kick, and took an extra second. The one YZ450 got fired, and was about a bike length ahead by the time I got to dump her into gear. That 520 swallowed up that 450 like it was sitting still.

They CAN and DO have "That much".

well I have phoned today to check the bike has not yet been sold, they still have it and I will be going in on thursday ( my first day off) to do a deal.

I have read several reviews on them and it would appear that the only thing you need to do is learn to short shift and they will behave as well as any smaller capacity bike but have huge handfulls of power in reserve.

I found one guy who has his in super moto trim and reckons that he changed his gearing going down two teeth on the back sprocket and has been clocked through a speed trap at 126mph. 126mph from a motocross bike!!! thats insane.