Sign in to follow this  

what oil

Wht type of oil can/should i use on my CRF150

i use the honda synthetic 10-40wt oil - u can also get some cheap oil at a gas station or somewhere like that but it cant have any energy conserving stuff in it. check the circle on the back of the container...

yeah, i used to run normal 10-40 moror oul in my 150. just remember that gearboxes break down oil, so keep fresh oil in it if you want your bike to last.

Honda's Service Manual for the CRF150 says:

Use Pro Honda GN4 or HP4 (without molybednum additives) 4-stroke oil or equivalent motor oil -API service classification: SG or higher, JASO T 903 standard: MA. Viscosity: SAE 10W-40.

The CRF150 uses 1.0 liter of oil.

Nice for those with missing manuals. Thanks!

I use GN4.

Why dont you just read your manual. Instead of asking dumb questions! :thumbsup:

Controversy? Oil threads are always good for that..... Gee, synthetics cost $7.00 a quart.... should I buy it? When el cheapo costs $.75 a quart...... what do you guys think?????????

Oh, and by the way, I use one of the two mentioned above. Use whatever you want.

Newer synthetics do not cause clutch slippage but put lots of miles on first then switch. I have sent many an UOA to Black Stone labs for analysis and both oil types perform well the syn justs lasts longer before shear.

I just use the cheapest stuff I can get

supertech from walmart

Just make sure to change it often

With recommended oil changes being 2-3 tanks, I coudlen't afford full synthetic. Figuring I can go through 2-3 tanks in a good day of stunting

Newer synthetics do not cause clutch slippage but put lots of miles on first then switch.

Why exactly would you put a bunch of miles on? I've been running HP4 synthetic in my bike since the first oil change, that came at 35-40 miles. Not a single problem. Seems most of the old synthetic myths are still around eh?

This past spring, I spent a few hours researching this subject on the internet. Following, is what I posted on it about 3 months ago....

Automotive oil is fine for these little bikes as long as you use only high detergent, premium quality motor oil certified to meet API Service Classification SF, SG, or SL (shown on container).

As long as you DO NOT use oils with graphite or molybdenum additives, or oil labelled "energy-conserving", or DO NOT use oil with API Service Classification SM, you will be fine. Graphite additives, molybdenum additives, and/or SM oil will adversely affect clutch operation in only a short time.

Granted, if you go too long between oil changes, automotive oil will brake down because of the tranny gears in a motorcycle engine. But if you follow the advice of your owners manual and change the oil every third tank full of gas, this brake down problem won't happen.

It's up to you. Pay $2 a quart for automotive oil, or $5 to $12 for motorcycle oil. If you change it as suggested, you're saving money with auto oil.

Again, DO NOT use the following oil.

Graphite additives.

Molybdenum additives.

"Energy-conserving".

API Service Classification SM.