Sign in to follow this  

Trying to make my SX more .........

Where to begin....I have a 2004 KTM450SX that i have been converting into a strickly woods bike. So far a 5th and 6th gear added, a rekluse a/c, WER steering stabilizer, Factory connection susp., Hard parts E-start kit "not installed yet" narrowed handle bars 3" total. and switched to a 52 tooth rear, 14 in front...but plan on going down to a 13. and also a heavier flywheel. and the honda diaphram mod.

So i have done alot to it, the problem i am having is off idel to 1/4 like when i cross a log and have to blip the throttle.....it almost always dies when i let off the throttle never giving it gas. I have the idel turned down to keep the Rekluse from engauging. But if i turn the idel up just a little and ride it down some open logging roads i never have any trouble. Its always in the tight stuff. And alays at low RPM"s. I know it is a SX and i want it to act like an EXC. Should i jet it with Stock "EXC" needle and jets or get a JD kit or could i get the SX needle to work??? I sent the carb to "chip" munn to cure the bog and he rejetted everything and did the honda mod for me, and i have not had the carb apart. I liveat around 300'-500' ALTITUDE, and it is in the mid 80's to mid 90's but very humid. Do you have any set ups that i might try??? Or any advice??? I think the SX needle may be the culprit but i dont know that much on jetting any help would be appreciated

are the flywheels different between the models?

use the sticky post at the top of the page to confirm your pilot circuit setting.

are the flywheels different between the models?

use the sticky post at the top of the page to confirm your pilot circuit setting.

The guy i bought it from added the heavier flywheel, he gave me the stock one, so i am assuming he did change flywheel's.

The pilot circut seems ok, runs best at 1 turm out. There is no popping on decel, there is no BOG at all and the bike rips once i get to mid throttle. maybe sence the SX has such a tall first maybe gearing it down a little more will help keep the RPM's up and that might help the motor handle the extra squirt of fuel throwed in it?????

If i crack the throttle open for just a second....just long enough to raise the front wheel just a little, and get the rear spinning and shut the throttle down....when the front wheel thouches down and motor returns to idel it stalls. Like when u cross a large log.

Can you put a to heavy of a flywheel on a strickly woods bike??? Because i am thinking of looking around for a heavier one.